Launcher Update System

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
GameEnder

Launcher Update System

Post by GameEnder »

Is it possible it implement some kind of auto update system in the launcher for the MAC and Windows people? I know for the Linux builds it already dose that. Pulling from the repo when you check for updates, but for other platforms it rather tedious to have to uninstall the old build every time, grab the new update off the site. It could also help with support when the project is fully out to make sure the people are always on the latest build so they are not asking for help for something that has already been fixed with a new build.
SquireNed

Re: Launcher Update System

Post by SquireNed »

Keep in mind that, if I remember correctly, the Linux builds don't actually do auto-updates because of OpenMW, but rather because of the repositories they're in; it's not an OpenMW thing, just a general Linux thing.
GameEnder

Post by GameEnder »

Yes I know that, I administrate Linux servers all day long.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

GameEnder wrote:Yes I know that, I administrate Linux servers all day long.
Must be a boring job... ;)
corristo

Post by corristo »

It could be relatively easyly implemented for OS X with Sparkle framework. As a second option I could offer a homebrew formula, so It'd be almost like apt-get update.

I'd prefer Sparkle for general public and homebrew option for more technically-inclined users.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I don't think this is something that we should worry about.

My reasoning is this: OpenMW is mostly going to be used by people who don't need an auto-updating system; and what's more, a large portion of the user base is going to NOT want their OpenMW version changing without them having control over it. Large numbers of features could change post-1.0, version to version, in ways that may break projects for some groups. That's something we want to avoid, so I don't think there will be a large enough demand to make the devs who'd do something like that maintain the framework necessary to keep an auto-updating system going across Windows/OSX/all_the_linux_distros.

That would cost more money too, for the ones who ran the servers that updates were pulled from.

Right now, people slowly grab updates when they want it, so costs are lessened vs. an auto-update scheme.

TL;DR - There's a lot of reasons this doesn't fit the OpenMW project at the moment.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I'm sure someone could spend a day or two coding something up for Windows using Github releases, if people are really adamant about it. Probably not as part of the launcher though, but rather as a separate program.
Maybe something like "OpenMW Auto-Updater", which you can launch from the start-menu folder.
All it would have to do after all is download the new OpenMW installer, uninstall the old one, and then install the new one there instead while keeping any changes to the config files.