YouTube channel search hits/related videos issue ...

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

YouTube channel search hits/related videos issue ...

Post by WeirdSexy »

I've come to the conclusion that our videos don't get (m)any hits simply because they don't have the word "Morrowind" in the title.

What would you guys think of appending some short, copyright-friendly, phrase containing the word to our titles? Something like "(Morrowind engine reimplementation)"?
TorbenC

Re: YouTube channel search hits/related videos issue ...

Post by TorbenC »

WeirdSexy wrote:I've come to the conclusion that our videos don't get (m)any hits simply because they don't have the word "Morrowind" in the title.

What would you guys think of appending some short, copyright-friendly, phrase containing the word to our titles? Something like "(Morrowind engine reimplementation)"?
That is indeed one of the reasons :) Morrowind engine reimplementation is a tad long, a different word for reimplementation that is a lot shorter would work well though (OpenMW V0.24 Commentary - Morrowind Engine Ramake) would work and would drag in the hits for Morrowind, Morrowind engine, and OpenMW/OpenMW v#.

The "Commentary" being in the title is unnecessary but I assumed you would prefer to have it in.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

TorbenC wrote:That is indeed one of the reasons :) Morrowind engine reimplementation is a tad long, a different word for reimplementation that is a lot shorter would work well though (OpenMW V0.24 Commentary - Morrowind Engine Ramake) would work and would drag in the hits for Morrowind, Morrowind engine, and OpenMW/OpenMW v#.

The "Commentary" being in the title is unnecessary but I assumed you would prefer to have it in.
I'm not sure I like "Remake" for this. Makes it sound like we had more of a part in the creative process rather than reimplementing all the features present in the original.

Any additional thoughts on this point?

I'd personally be completely fine with "OpenMW vX.YY.Z (Morrowind engine reimplementation)" for release video titles, but it's not up to me. Another option is to replace "commentary" with a shorter word, like "update".
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

open source morrowind engine would be fine imho
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

WeirdSexy wrote:
TorbenC wrote:That is indeed one of the reasons :) Morrowind engine reimplementation is a tad long, a different word for reimplementation that is a lot shorter would work well though (OpenMW V0.24 Commentary - Morrowind Engine Ramake) would work and would drag in the hits for Morrowind, Morrowind engine, and OpenMW/OpenMW v#.

I'm not sure I like "Remake" for this. Makes it sound like we had more of a part in the creative process rather than reimplementing all the features present in the original.

Any additional thoughts on this point?

I'd personally be completely fine with "OpenMW vX.YY.Z (Morrowind engine reimplementation)" for release video titles, but it's not up to me. Another option is to replace "commentary" with a shorter word, like "update".
If you were to either get rid of the word commentary entirely or replace it with update then the title would be small enough to put in reimplementation instead of "remake" for sure.

Reason the shortening or removing of one of the words was mentioned is because you generally want under 60 characters for a title on a YouTube video.

OpenMW V0.24.0 Update - Morrowind Engine Reimplementation
works perfectly.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'm in favor of:

OpenMW v1.23.4 Update - Morrowind Engine Reimplementation

If Zini signs off on it (or sirherrbatka's suggestion "... - Open-Source Morrowind Engine"), I'll do videos that way from now on.

If we make this change, shall I go back and change the previous ones for consistency? I would say yes unless there's some obvious reason for not doing so that I'm over-looking.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Just put the "open source™" somwhere :P
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is not the kind of thing you need my okay for. I am normally not getting involved in PR related topics (I suck at that stuff). But I am okay with it anyway.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

sirherrbatka wrote:Just put the "open source™" somewhere :P
:D

Alright, then. It's been done. Let's see if our related videos start making sense!

Anyone know anything about how youtube updates searching mechanisms after someone has changed the tags/description/title of a video?
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

WeirdSexy wrote:
sirherrbatka wrote:Just put the "open source™" somewhere :P
:D

Alright, then. It's been done. Let's see if our related videos start making sense!

Anyone know anything about how youtube updates searching mechanisms after someone has changed the tags/description/title of a video?
For your original question, yes you should update all the previous videos. The only downside is you lose ranking (temporarily) on all the videos you alter while YouTube's search engine updates everything (about a 2 week time frame if you do no link building or anything). This is perfectly fine considering when it comes back up (you may not even notice it going down) it will be higher up and on more searches.

Also, for your updating of search mechanisms question, basically it works the same as a regular search engine. It will take a little while to update everything but after that happens you will start to see your rank increasing/decreasing depending on if the change was good or bad for SEO. In this case, it is good.

Note that you may not see many hits from this change for a while because it will take time for the videos to rise in ranks for the new keyword(s) added (morrowind). Just make sure the word is said a few times in the description, it is in the tags, title, and if possible the transcript. The tags I cannot check since the last YouTube update, but everything else is good to go.

Everything is looking good from my point of view.