Reaching out to advanced Elder Scrolls modders

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Reaching out to advanced Elder Scrolls modders

Post by ElderTroll »

Another way to attract developers and strengthen our community would be to contact modders of the various Elder Scrolls games, tell them about our goals, and ask them if they have any of the skills we seek, and ask them if they would be interested to join the project. I think most will be intrigued by the possibilities a functional OpenMW would provide. Many may have heard about the project over the last four years, but for whatever reason not gotten involved. Directly inviting someone is a much bigger push towards participation.

So here's what I need:
Usernames, their email, and the mod or project they worked on. I don't see a need to limit it to only Morrowind, so you can be modders from the Oblivion and Skyrim communities.
Ideally it would be like the people who worked on things like nif tools, mcp, mwse, mgxe, mwedit, and major mods and total conversions from the respective Elder Scrolls games.

@zini
I can stagger contacting these people over many months to prevent an initial rush of interest and the subsequent big die off. But if you think brotherbrick is right and that we have all the developers we need I can sit back with the contact list until OpenMW needs more people. Then I'll start sending emails.
Zini

Re: Reaching out to advanced Elder Scrolls modders

Post by Zini »

To be honest the activity level went down a bit in the recent months. We are still making good progress, but getting a small number of new developers certainly wouldn't hurt. But actually what we mostly need is the formulae problems to be sorted out, because in a lot of areas developers can't continue without these.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

It is really important that the formulae are exact? Can you use a stub that is somewhat reasonable?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Depends on your definition of exact. It doesn't have to match ten digits after the decimal point. I expect that we will have a calibration phase after OpenMW 1.0, when we can make use of a much larger testing audience. But we should at least provide a reasonable good approximation, that replicates the fundamental properties of the original formulae (no quadratic behaviour when the original was linear and such) and also gives roughly the same playing experience and difficulty.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

Maybe at the end of the next "release preview" video you should again do a shout-out for people to get involved, but this time help is needed with things other than just formulas.
Youtube views grow rapidly every new video, last video has over 15k videos and I'm sure not many people watched it more than once..

Even making a new video only about recruiting, and posting on moddb about it could help.
Too bad Bethesda couldn't help, maybe they should have at least gave more hints
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:But actually what we mostly need is the formulae problems to be sorted out, because in a lot of areas developers can't continue without these.
I posted for help on our facebook and twitter. We don't have huge followings there, but maybe we'll get a few bites.