Difference in armour rating ebony mail VS lords mail (unique

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
matthewfarmery

Difference in armour rating ebony mail VS lords mail (unique

Post by matthewfarmery »

to be clear,

lords mail
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Lord ... rtifact%29

ebony mail (you get from last temple quest)
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Ebony_Mail

I'm not sure where to post this, I just wondering if armour ratings have changed in openmw?

the thing is, when I set (for a level 1 char in openmw) both medium and heavy armour to 100 (ebony mail unique )is medium armour, but when I have no clothes on, I have a armour rating of 2

with lords mail equipped, I have an armour rating of 101
with ebony mail cuirass equipped, I have an armour rating of 151

in vanilla, when I do the same thing to test, they both have the same armour rating.

should I put this in the tracker or is this a known issue?

does seem a bit odd, even though by right they should have the exact same armour rating, so I would class this as a bug, but just wanted to know if this is intentional? or things have changed in the way armour and enchantments are calculated?

edit

this also applies to wraithguard as well, seems that the shield effect is changing the armour value a lot, as I also tested vanilla with wraithguard on a level 1 char and not getting the same armour value as opwnmw, so it seems that the shield is calculated differently? just wondering if this is intentional?
Last edited by matthewfarmery on 01 Mar 2015, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Re: Difference in armour rating ebony mail VS lords mail (un

Post by scrawl »

The ebony mail has a "Shield 50 pts" constant effect enchantment on it. Shield spells effectively increase your armor rating by that amount.

It seems in MW, the Shield effect won't add to the armor rating label, at least not initially. I got it to show up by leaving the inventory, opening it again, then change the medium armor skill.
Another difference I noted, in MW the tooltip for the armor shows the effective armor rating, e.g. factored in the player's skills. The tooltip in OpenMW shows the unmodified value.

I just fixed the latter issue, but the former is really a bug in MW and the OpenMW behaviour is correct.
matthewfarmery

Re: Difference in armour rating ebony mail VS lords mail (un

Post by matthewfarmery »

thanks, that clears it up. thanks for answering.

edit

your right about vanilla, does seem there is a delay on when the armour rating gets updated, I also found if you drop an item and pick it up, that does update the rating, so some form of interaction is needed, but it doesn't get updated immediately. That was my cause of confusion, as I was only comparing the armour rating when I add the armour between the two and not doing anything else. and due to the delay, thought that openmw calculations was wrong, but in fact right.

so basically not a bug, as this is intended behaviour for openmw.