Playing the entire game?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Sterling9578

Re: Playing the entire game?

Post by Sterling9578 »

Sslaxx wrote:
scrawl wrote:
Sterling9578 wrote:I am currently doing a playthrough on Youtube and I have yet to run into quest related bugs.
This one I presume? Good stuff :)
Maybe we could get a link to it put on the site's main page?
I would love that :) However, ultimately I believe that decision ultimately belongs to Zini or Scrawl.
ezze

Post by ezze »

This seems a good place to ask... what is the point of a watching a "Let's play" instead of playing yourself? I tried watching some, but I found interesting only the "walkthrough" ones without (or almost) comments or the super good players like the ones in "Quake done quickest". Most of the "Let's play" are just normal gameplay with some commentary...
Sterling9578

Post by Sterling9578 »

ezze wrote:This seems a good place to ask... what is the point of a watching a "Let's play" instead of playing yourself? I tried watching some, but I found interesting only the "walkthrough" ones without (or almost) comments or the super good players like the ones in "Quake done quickest". Most of the "Let's play" are just normal gameplay with some commentary...
Here is the problem with premise of your argument, its based on your own preferences. People like to here commentary and jokes, playing a game requires concentration and thinking. Let's Players can do that and manage to be entertaining at the same time, now while you may not find it entertaining many do.

Another potential advantage from a developer standpoint is Let's Players due to their audience tend to see bugs and explore more obscure parts of the game that a normal play through doesn't lend too.

Just to reinforce the point, there are also two particular let's plays that lend themselves to commentary, I favor the latter over the former but nonetheless they are both valid.

1. Walkthroughs/Speed Runs
Experts in the game of their choice show how to do things the most efficient or quickest way. For me, these are just boring. They don't capture the experience adequately for me. But again this a personal opinion.

2. Roleplaying Let's Plays
Now these are what I like to do. Roleplaying is something most people will do when they play a game naturally to more or lesser extent. But having audience helps reinforce the commitment to staying in character and also the choices that matter. Plus, if we look successful let's players, the PC in the game becomes likable and sympathizable. Even so much so that many people are sad that the let's play is over.

So thats my analysis, I understand your opinion but those are the major reasons I believe.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ezze wrote:This seems a good place to ask... what is the point of a watching a "Let's play" instead of playing yourself
I like to watch LPs to see if a game is worth buying. Or if I want to see the strategies others use (in the case of EU/CK).
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

If it's a complicated game I like to watch a Let's Play to see how to get started.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I like watching Let's Plays of less linear games I've played, to see how other people play compared to me.
MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf »

Any Let's Plays I watch are because I use them as podcasts with the topic being a game I enjoy.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Pretty much all the above + keeping my English listening skills in shape + amusing random and completely unrelated to games crap LPers talk about.