OpenMW 0.17.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.17.0

Post by psi29a »

buildbot is slow... takes 14~17 hours (estimate). (The queue must be enormous.)

I first want to validate that the process works on precise (32/64), then I will push downward to other ubuntu releases. Special care for Maverick and Lucid because of their non-existent multi-lib support.

I'm setting up a static build environment now but do not expect tarballs before Monday.
raevol

Post by raevol »

BrotherBrick wrote:I'm setting up a static build environment now but do not expect tarballs before Monday.
No worries, thanks for offering to do this. Wish I had the time to learn to make a build machine...

I wonder if we could make a virtual machine configured to do builds? If someone sent me a virtual machine with a one-script pull/build configured on it, I could definitely handle that...
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

Sorry for the delay. I've moved and couldn't setup a build system until now.

Linux 32 Bit binaries:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65141287/openm ... nux.tar.gz

Linux 64 Bit binaries:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65141287/openm ... Bit.tar.gz
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini... not sure if we both made the same mistake or we are supposed to do something else but 'shiny' is not included in the source to openmw.

https://github.com/zinnschlag/openmw/ta ... nmw-0.17.0
^-- gives the 0.17.0 release, but minus the shiny submodule.

I've included a patch to include shiny on launchpad and it seems to work but now I get this during building. K1ll, if you could look into this as well, that would be great. :)
make[3]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
[ 34%] Building CXX object apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/__/__/libs/mangle/input/servers/ois_driver.cpp.o
[ 34%] Building CXX object apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/__/__/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp.o
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp: In member function 'bool OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::loadPlugins() const':
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:84:36: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mGLPlugin' in read-only object
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:92:36: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mCgPlugin' in read-only object
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:96:44: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mOctreePlugin' in read-only object
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:100:52: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mParticleFXPlugin' in read-only object
make[3]: *** [apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/__/__/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
make[2]: *** [apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 returned exit code 2
make: *** [build] Error 2
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

BrotherBrick wrote:Zini... not sure we both made the same mistake or we are supposed to do something else but 'shiny' is not included in the source to openmw.

https://github.com/zinnschlag/openmw/ta ... nmw-0.17.0
^-- gives the 0.17.0 release, but minus the shiny submodule.

I've included a patch to include shiny on launchpad and it seems to work but now I get this during building. K1ll, if you could look into this as well, that would be great. :)
make[3]: Entering directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
[ 34%] Building CXX object apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/__/__/libs/mangle/input/servers/ois_driver.cpp.o
[ 34%] Building CXX object apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/__/__/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp.o
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp: In member function 'bool OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::loadPlugins() const':
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:84:36: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mGLPlugin' in read-only object
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:92:36: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mCgPlugin' in read-only object
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:96:44: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mOctreePlugin' in read-only object
/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp:100:52: error: assignment of member 'OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer::mParticleFXPlugin' in read-only object
make[3]: *** [apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/__/__/libs/openengine/ogre/renderer.cpp.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
make[2]: *** [apps/openmw/CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/openmw-0.17.0'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 returned exit code 2
make: *** [build] Error 2
Yeah I've had this too. Launchpad seems to have some weird compiler settings.

The problem is that OgreRenderer::loadPlugins() is const. Just patch that away and everything should be fine.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Zini... not sure we both made the same mistake or we are supposed to do something else but 'shiny' is not included in the source to openmw.
It is not supposed to. shiny is a submodule. There is only a reference to it in the repository.

About the error: Why the heck is the loadPlugins function const? That can not work, unless all the preprocessor constants are undefined, which only seems to be the case when not having a static OGRE build. That means actually the code inside of loadPlugins is never used. We have a serious bug here.
Zini

Post by Zini »

You can try to remove the const, but be aware that this build mode (statically linked OGRE) has not been tested. It also seems to have a memory leak. It would be best to not statically link OGRE at this time.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:You can try to remove the const, but be aware that this build mode (statically linked OGRE) has not been tested. It also seems to have a memory leak. It would be best to not statically link OGRE at this time.

Then we have no launchpad builds... just for 0.17 at this time?

as for shiny, is this something we need to add to our 'deps' and 'build' repo (dyn and static respectively)?
Zini

Post by Zini »

as for shiny, is this something we need to add to our 'deps' and 'build' repo (dyn and static respectively)?
I honestly have no idea how to handle git submodules in a launchpad/automatic build environment.
Then we have no launchpad builds...
Okay. We have two options then:

1. Fix up the const and build it anyway. Both launcher and OpenMW should be given at least a short test run. The memory leak can be fixed in 0.18.0, because it is only minor.

2. Stop the release and fix up the static build properly, including more testing.

I prefer #1,
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I'm for #1 as well, get it out the door with a big fat warning should be good enough.

As for shiny, i mean that it is not released as part of your tagged source release. Is that something we need to add after the fact before building? Wouldn't make more sense to include shiny (and it's marked version) in the source package that is to be release to the public, as in it's current state is uncompilable?

update: Am I incorrect in this.. I seem to remember other submodules (open engine, etc) being included in previous source releases.