DLSS3

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ajira2

DLSS3

Post by ajira2 »

Hi there!

Firstly, I'm enjoying a lot of your work, thank you! And very good year. I'm looking forward to OpenMW 0.49.

So, a couple of things. I have Seyda Neen Imperial Port, and it clashes with grass mods, Remiro, I think, grass is all over the place. So I went manually and disabled the offending grass chunks, because I don't know how to do it. Can you please orient me with that? I would love making a patch for grass with that mod to avoid grass floating inside the town.

Secondly, I'm playing a lot of Starfield, and the DLSS support built-in works pretty bad. Today I installed this mod: "Starfield Frame Generation - Replacing FSR2 with DLSS-G - FSR2Streamline" and boy, it pumped the FPS a lot, it's fluid as hell, I'm enjoying it a lot.

I think it uses DLSS3.

So it got me wondering, are there any plans for DLSS3, CAS, etc… in OpenMW?

Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/761

Best regards.
AnyOldName3

Re: DLSS3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

IIRC, the licence terms for DLSS mean it can never legally be used with OpenMW, but FSR should eventually be doable as it's got a friendlier licence. It's not the highest priority at the moment as OpenMW doesn't get that much more expensive when you run it at higher resolutions, so there's a good chance these kinds of scaling systems will work out slower than just running the game at the target resolution natively.
ajira2

Post by ajira2 »

Thanks for the answer.

The mod I mentioned, has exactly the same problem, so it urges you to download a certain dll from Nvidias page to avoid problems.

And it works good. I can't say the same for Skyrim and Fallout4, sadly. But in Starfield works like a charm.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

OpenMW can be forked to add support for DLSS, but we are not allowed by terms of licenses (both GPL and Nvidia's) to ship them together.

That is not to say that OpenMW can't support it by way of leaving the 'door open' and the user providing the the binary/library. It would fall into the same way that Linux can't be shipped with Nividia's binary-only proprietary blob, but users install it themselves.

AMD's FSR3 will likely be the only one we ship with and support. After all, we're FOSS enthusiasts who are indeed pushing a free software agenda. :)