Bug when using XBOX Gamepad

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ForkOfHorripilation

Bug when using XBOX Gamepad

Post by ForkOfHorripilation »

Hey there! I want to ask if there is a workaround for a certain problem that I encounter often.

It is not necessarily a bug, but you will see:

1.) When I play with my XBOX 360 Gamecontroller I can just very shortly tip the analog sticks and then the respective movement will go on and on.

For example:

I only tip the right analog stick for 0,1 seconds (and of course release it) and bend it to the left side.

But the camera will then continuously start rotating left. I can put the controller away or shut it down, the camera will spin forever.

Similarly if I do it with the left analog stick my character will start walking left forever.

Interestingly so far I have only seen it with both sticks with the LEFT SIDE, but then also regardless of my controller.

Is this a known bug? Any way to workaround?
It might seem not toooo dramatic, but it at least comes annoying, when I start putting my controller aside for NPC dialoges, because that is hard to do with controller. Then sometimes my mouse keeps (slowly) spinning around the screen and I need to grab back my controller (eventually turning it on again first), "correcting" the respective analog stick and then continue business.

2.) As another question / request I have the following:

Is there a way to make the favorite menue accessible with a XBOX Gamecontroller? So it has the cross also below the left stick, which was used exactly like a 1-8 in Oblivion too, so it should work perfectly? But so far it just works like the left analog stick to move around, which is pretty pointless, because we anyways have the left analog stick, which is 100x better at doing it - so you would not even want to use the cross instead.

THXXX for any insights!!
AnyOldName3

Re: Bug when using XBOX Gamepad

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It sounds like you've not got your controller deadzones configured correctly. The spring in most controllers isn't strong enough to pull the sticks all the way perfectly into the neutral position, so they still read a small tilt after you've let go. Usually there's both an OS-level setting and application-level setting that lets you set up a deadzone where the controller will be treated as if it were in the neutral position even though it's just near it.
ForkOfHorripilation

Kool that sounds exactly what I will need to do.

THX
ForkOfHorripilation

Sadly Windows 10 has no tool to adjust this deadzone, instead it seems it must be supported by the Game.

OpenMW does not have an option like this so I will need to accept it as I guess ...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbo ... 7899dab930
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Irritatingly, I'm pretty sure there is such a tool in Windows, but it only works with DInput gamepads rather than XInput ones.