(UPDATE) Random glitches in interiors on v0.48

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
FXN55

(UPDATE) Random glitches in interiors on v0.48

Post by FXN55 »

I just got v0.48 flatpak Linux install up and running and have noticed what I'm calling 'glitches' for lack of a more apt term but take a look at the screen record link below and you'll see what I mean. This has happened in other interiors as well but not all. It doesn't slow down gameplay in any noticeable way but it's very distracting. No CTDs, though, so that's always a plus.

Screen Record

Could updating the Nav Mesh Cache have been the cause of this? Because it looks as if there are distorted versions of .nif models flickering in and out. It's the only thing I've done differently since v0.47 and running the subsequent v0.48 RCs. The only thing that comes to mind anyways.

Any help would be appreciated.

*Edit*
Are you fucking kidding me? 31 views and not one single reply? Come on, people. I'm not posting for your reading pleasure. You know what, just forget it. This isn't the first time I've been left hanging. So just go about your business and I'll go back to using the last Release Candidate since it's not giving me the same issues as the stable release. There I solved it myself. Yay me!

*Edit-18Aug*
New screen record link posted. This one times out in three days. So, pretend it's a hot dog and... get it while it's hot!

Last edited by FXN55 on 18 Aug 2023, 14:55, edited 3 times in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Random glitches in interiors on v0.48

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Regarding the 31 views, search engine bot crawlers tend not to be very good at answering questions, so they just index the content of your post so it'll show up if someone googles one of the phrases you use, and leave. There's a good chance I'm the first human to see this post. Congratulations on getting upset that bots didn't respond.

As for your issue, I can't tell what they are as your video link doesn't work.

Cl3v3rP0tat0

Post by Cl3v3rP0tat0 »

I can't play the video but as for random glitches - I'm on Release 48 - I occasionally get little whitish streaks flashing across the screen - AKA video artifacts - it's likely my GPU TBH acting up during a longer play session. I recently have everything working well - so a few streaks across my screen occasionally - I can tolerate. ;)

FXN55

Post by FXN55 »

I completely forgot about the bots. Uhhh...sorry. And the video link died.

To be continued....

FXN55

Post by FXN55 »

Cl3v3rP0tat0 wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 05:30

so a few streaks across my screen occasionally - I can tolerate.

This is more than a few white streaks across the screen. Take a look at the updated link above.

Cl3v3rP0tat0

Post by Cl3v3rP0tat0 »

FXN55 wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 16:53

This is more than a few white streaks across the screen. Take a look at the updated link above.

That looks like video artifacts - how are your GPU temps?

Over the years I had this happen - one time was due to my GPU going out failing, the other was after doing some OC with a software utility - which I reversed and the problem went away. And one time it was a BIOS setting OC, which was also reversible...finally there was the case overheating - dust bunnies and a pot smoker room-mate contributed to that.

My current "pc" is an all-in-one - so no case or fan - or discrete GPU, meh.

https://cybersided.com/gpu-artifacting/ ... U_Artifact
What is a GPU Artifact?

One of the most common ones you’ll see is the appearance of huge triangles in the scenery of your game. You might mistake them as trees to start, but quickly you’ll start to see them multiply and appear in scenes they simply don’t belong.

Worst case scenario your GPU is dying - but it can also come up from overclocking too aggressively or buggy drivers...yes, a game engine could introduce it as well as some sort of driver incompatibility/glitch - but it's more likely that 48 Release is utilizing your video card more/different ways than previous versions.

Also:

Visual artifacts can be caused by an overheating graphics card. Check your graphics card temperature with a tool like GPU-Z. If the GPU is overheating, make sure the GPU fan is hooked up to its power connector. You might have to remove the heatsink and re-attach it after applying a thin layer of thermal paste. Depending on airflow within your case you might need to redirect some air toward the graphics card.

Damaged GPU RAM can cause artifacts.

FXN55

Re: (UPDATE) Random glitches in interiors on v0.48

Post by FXN55 »

Worst case scenario your GPU is dying

Ugh! Stop it! You're scaring me, man.

But seriously... It has been a while since I last blasted out the dust bunnies. I just checked the temperature, something I hadn't been monitoring, and it's reading 27.8 C or 82.04 F. Not sure if that's too high but I need to eradicate the dust inside the casing nevertheless. And I'm also a heavy smoker, weed and cigarettes.

I also recently upgraded my OS, so driver issues is something to keep in mind if a dust-free casing doesn't solve the issue.

Thanks... I'll be back.

Cl3v3rP0tat0

Post by Cl3v3rP0tat0 »

FXN55 wrote: 18 Aug 2023, 20:05

Worst case scenario your GPU is dying

reading 27.8 C or 82.04 F.

FWIW - that's not a bad temp at all - under load? -but it depends on what sensor - case, GPU etc.
IE:

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/che ... emperature

For GPU core temperatures, we prefer to keep those well south of 90C, but some GPUs tend to run warmer. For example, AMD's RX Vega series could easily hit the high 80s under typical gaming conditions.

Modern GPUs like the RTX 30-series and RX 6000-series typically shouldn't get above 80C for the GPU core, while GDDR6X memory can go as high as 110C while still technically being within spec. Usually, the RTX 3070/3080/3090 GPUs with GDDR6X will start to throttle performance at 110C, and sometimes even at 106C–108C. Of course, we prefer the memory to stay below 100C, but on some cards, that's just not going to happen without modding the cooling elements.

But dusting off cooling fans, case filters and heat sink blades is always a good thing - if you know your what about the innards of a PC. I say that for general purpose reasons - some people have no business tinkering inside their computers - you sound like you know some things. :P

FXN55

Post by FXN55 »

I sound like I know some things. Hah! I know just enough to get me in trouble and to treat what's within the casing delicately. I actually cleaned my whole desk area before I even cracked it open. So, I spent the better part of the day breathing, blowing and sweeping dust. And it was definitely time to do it, however, the issue persists. There wasn't even a change in temperatures either. The reading I gave before was an overall temp, I believe. My system monitor oddly didn't have a temp reading so, I had to hastily install one as an add-on. Fucking Linux. Anyways, I just set up the sensors to read from all four cores. They seem to be averaging 27-30C. And that's while running OpenMW. I didn't notice a change from start-up to launching the game.

I don't know, man. I hope it's not a driver issue. That sounds like a project for another day.