Suttering on older system

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW 0.48.0

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Amgarrak, you've still not answered the follow-up questions we've asked. You've also not provided dumps that match the issues you've described. We've got one for something going wrong when loading a save with RC10 (we'll need the save that triggered it to investigate further), but none for the freezes you've described. As I said, the location dumps are saved to changed with RC11, so you might be looking in the wrong place.

Also, it's not entirely clear whether you're using the right terminology. For future reference:
  • Freezes are when OpenMW stops doing anything for at least five seconds, and you get the OpenMW appears to have frozen popup. If you press the Abort button, you should get a freeze dump you can send us.
  • Lags are when you press a button, and it takes a while for the game to do anything about it. This basically never happens in single-player games as it's usually down to it taking a long time to synchronise with other players over a network.
  • Hitches are when one or two frames take much longer than normal, like a really tiny freeze too short to trigger the freeze catcher.
  • Framerate drops are when a sequence of frames takes longer than normal.
  • Low framerate is when basically every frame takes longer than you want.
Can you please clarify which of these you're hitting?
Amgarrak

Post by Amgarrak »

In my case, the first option freezes when moving through locations :(

Okay, don't pay attention to me I won't bother you anymore, I'll get used to it somehow, but I'll ask you to optimize OpenMW, please?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Amgarrak wrote: 01 Jul 2023, 16:35 In my case, the first option freezes when moving through locations :(

Okay, don't pay attention to me I won't bother you anymore, I'll get used to it somehow, but I'll ask you to optimize OpenMW, please?
Freezes can't be solved simply by optimising OpenMW, and we'd really rather you gave us the dumps that go with them so we can work out what's causing them and prevent them affecting other users. It's not good if our release builds freeze.
Amgarrak

Post by Amgarrak »

I don't know where dump is located in the system?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Amgarrak wrote: 02 Jul 2023, 08:47 I don't know where dump is located in the system?
Have you found your temp directory and the new location for crash dumps yet? We're still awaiting:
  • A dump from one of the freezes you've mentioned, or confirmation that it wasn't actually a freeze, and was actually one of the other kinds of problem I described.
  • The save that triggered the crash whose dump you've sent us already when you loaded it.
It would also help us if you reproduced both problems, and sent us the openmw.log that was made at the same time as the dump - the ones you've sent us so far weren't from the same time you launched the game, so don't tell us much about the problem.
Amgarrak

Post by Amgarrak »

I can't get to the dump in the system I can only give you this I don't think it will help you https://www.mediafire.com/file/bfou21uu ... 9.rar/file
Amgarrak

Post by Amgarrak »

Please do not pay attention to me, do your own business, I will somehow get used to hanging, I just don't have enough RAM, maybe because of this the problem is most likely
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Amgarrak wrote: 05 Jul 2023, 08:02 Please do not pay attention to me, do your own business, I will somehow get used to hanging, I just don't have enough RAM, maybe because of this the problem is most likely
How much do you have? You never listed your CPU or RAM size.
Amgarrak

Post by Amgarrak »

RAM 6.00 - 64-bit operating system - Intel(R) Core(TM)2Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you're having problems, it means there are problems. If there are problems, it's likely they'll affect other people, too. It doesn't do those other people any good to know that we were told about the problems, but the person who told us personally didn't mind them, so we'd really rather get to the bottom of things one way or the other.