Mod Manager (Launcher)

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
KnightoftheWind

Mod Manager (Launcher)

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I am not sure if this particular idea has been brought up before, or if it's already in the planning stages, but I would love to see an official mod manager for OpenMW that can be accessed via the launcher. I feel that having a proper mod manager would make installing mods and even configuring them a much easier experience for normies such as myself.
AnyOldName3

Re: Mod Manager (Launcher)

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Mod managers are both highly subjective (i.e. someone will hate something someone else loves) and a huge amount more work to create than it seems like they should be. We've got enough to be getting on with without adding a mod manager to our plate, especially if a large proportion of our users end up disliking it.

The good news is that there are several mod managers compatible with OpenMW already. Portmod is a command-line tool designed specifically for OpenMW that works a lot like a package manager that some people are really keen on, and Mod Organizer 2 has two different plugins that wire it up to OpenMW's VFS which a bunch of people swear by. Additionally, all of the mod managers that worked with the original engine can work with OpenMW, too, as long as you're okay with giving up the separate data directories. Finally, for basic stuff, in our upcoming release, we've made it possible for our launcher to control data directories and BSAs, so while it can't manage your downloads, track updates, or deal with mod installer packages like BAIN, FOMOD and OMOD (which barely any Morrowind mods use, anyway), it will give a lot of people the important stuff.
KnightoftheWind

Re: Mod Manager (Launcher)

Post by KnightoftheWind »

I understand, although a mod manager won't happen I'm excited to see what those changes mean for modding!.