Shaders and vfs

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Hal900x

Shaders and vfs

Post by Hal900x »

Hello there,

I've installed the Steam version of MW, OpenMW, and Starwind. I'm doing some light modding of Starwind atm. I downloaded OMWFX shaders from https://modding-openmw.com/mods/omwfx-shaders/ unzipped em, and I'm trying to use the last piece of instruction at https://modding-openmw.com/tips/custom-shaders/ that states:

"Another option for handling mods such as Vtastek's shaders that require installing files into OpenMW's resources folder:
Rather than overwrite the folder OpenMW comes with, copy it into your mods folder (e.g. C:\games\OpenMWMods\resources), place any modded files into there, add this line to your openmw.cfg:
resources=C:\games\OpenMWMods\resources"

This to me sounds much like installing any other mod...edit the cfg and then OpenMW will use some sort of virtual file system to integrate the designated resource into it's own resource folder. Sounds like the way to go, I'd prefer not to merge or overwrite anything in OpenMW's resources folder if I can help it. Am I wrong? Anyway, the shaders were unzipped to C:\games\MorrowindMods\omwfx-shaders-main and the shaders folder is inside of that. Therefore I added the line:

resources="C:\games\MorrowindMods\omwfx-shaders-main"

to my openmw.cfg file. However, when I launch I get an OpenMW fatal error that tells me the system cannot find the vfs subfolder under my specified path.

What am i doing wrong? And why doesn't the F2 key do anything when I'm in-game? Is this an issue with Starwind vs MW?
AnyOldName3

Re: Shaders and vfs

Post by AnyOldName3 »

.omwfx shaders are post-process shaders and can be installed into a data directory like any other mod. It's only third-party lighting shaders that go in the resources directory.
Hal900x

Post by Hal900x »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 01:58 .omwfx shaders are post-process shaders and can be installed into a data directory like any other mod. It's only third-party lighting shaders that go in the resources directory.
Ok thank you. Is there a way I can configure them to be used without actually dropping them into my main data folder? I prefer to use a vfs or some other method rather than merging folders. There is a plugin included, but since it has a strange name ("Cinematic Boken DoF.omwscripts") and zero documentation, I hesitated to add that plugin.

I guess the author prefers that only knowledgeable users run their shaders...the readme is just a troll. A cute one, but a troll nonetheless.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Hal900x wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 03:03 Ok thank you. Is there a way I can configure them to be used without actually dropping them into my main data folder?
As it was said above, post-processing shaders can be installed just as any other mod to the separate directory listed in the "openmw.cfg". Such separate directory would contain a Shaders subdirectory with shaders (".omwfx" files) and their sampler textures. Plugins (".omwscripts") are needed only for shaders, controlled by Lua scripts.
Hal900x

Post by Hal900x »

akortunov wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 08:09
Hal900x wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 03:03 Ok thank you. Is there a way I can configure them to be used without actually dropping them into my main data folder?
As it was said above, post-processing shaders can be installed just as any other mod to the separate directory listed in the "openmw.cfg". Such separate directory would contain a Shaders subdirectory with shaders (".omwfx" files) and their sampler textures. Plugins (".omwscripts") are needed only for shaders, controlled by Lua scripts.
I had tried that prior to posting. Doesn't seem to function. I added a data= line, also tried adding a content= line later on. When I hit F2 ingame I don't see any new shaders to configure. I also tried just merging the shaders into OpenMWs shaders folder.

I'll redo it a few times and make sure it's not user error on my part.