Dumb question: Why is openMW launcher rewriting openmw.cfg?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Nitroinferno

Dumb question: Why is openMW launcher rewriting openmw.cfg?

Post by Nitroinferno »

This probably a noob question but, is the OpenMW launcher supposed to re-write my openmw.cfg file? I am using latest OpenMw ver. 0.47.0 x64 Windows version.

Seems like everytime I use the OpenMW launcher it's re-writing my openmw.cfg file not sure if there's a means to stop it from doing this or if this is normal.

I am also using Mod Organizer 2 (MO2), and I can launch openmw.exe from within no issue.
AnyOldName3

Re: Dumb question: Why is openMW launcher rewriting openmw.cfg?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The launcher writes the config file to disk when it thinks you might have made changes to the settings within the launcher. Sometimes, that might happen when you've not actually done so, but it tries to err on the side of caution so no setting changes get lost. Normally, this isn't something people complain about - if they've made changes, then the changes show up in the config file like they're supposed to, and if they haven't, the config file is the same before and after it gets rewritten.
Nitroinferno

Post by Nitroinferno »

Makes sense thank you!!

Since I'm using MO2 to setup the openmw.cfg I'll launch OpenMW through that then so the OpenMW launcher doesn't overwrite.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I just said to do literally the opposite of that. If you're using the MO2 export plugin to set up openmw.cfg, you don't need to, and shouldn't, run OpenMW through MO2.