openmw wont use my dedicated GPU

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ozzly

openmw wont use my dedicated GPU

Post by ozzly »

i have intel hd300 integrated GPU and nvidia quadro 2000m on morrowind only the intel hd300 shows.
i have tried MEG EX and there with all settings to default it runs better than openmw but want to use openmw instead.

i have tried for day ways to make openmw use my dedicaated GPU
i already searched. i have right click either openmw or launcher right click and force to use nvidia high performance
i have already tried on nvidia control panel and selecting or browsing to exe file still doesnt work.
am having the same problem as him.

viewtopic.php?t=7307
AnyOldName3

Re: openmw wont use my dedicated GPU

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The thread you've linked was someone having issues with a dual-AMD machine, which had a specific problem that won't affect your Intel+Nvidia machine, so it won't be the exact same issue you're hitting. Normally the settings you've already mentioned work perfectly on machines like yours. What symptoms are you seeing that make you think it's not using the Nvidia GPU?
ozzly

Re: openmw wont use my dedicated GPU

Post by ozzly »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 03:16 The thread you've linked was someone having issues with a dual-AMD machine, which had a specific problem that won't affect your Intel+Nvidia machine, so it won't be the exact same issue you're hitting. Normally the settings you've already mentioned work perfectly on machines like yours. What symptoms are you seeing that make you think it's not using the Nvidia GPU?
hi. i think you are right but please clarify this for me.

why i think it was not using GPU. well i monitored task manager and GPU tab 0 activity while running in window mode. both vanilla and openmw.
i decided to try older drivers from manufacturer but doesnt support directx10 or 11 as heaven benchmark wasnt running as it supposed to run very low frames.. tried vanilla and openmw i check FPS and same as before. so reverted back to latest drivers that has directx 10 and 11. and openmw FPS its the same.. but this time checking GPU i can see activity on the 3D graph.

to be honest i have no idea why before there was 0 activity of GPU.

also in vanilla only the integrated graphics shows. i assumed no use of dedicated GPU.
i also faced this same problem with mafia. but adding 2 files made it show DGPU.

d3d8.dll
enbconvertor.ini
i wanted to give it a shot and placed them and then shows DGPU but closes after bethesda logo. so doesnt work

then i tried mge ex. default settings and in there is smooth open mw and vanilla am testing all settings to default.
so mge ex has alot of detail far distance view water reflection ect and runs smooth while open mw default settings runs smoot indoors but as soon as a face the census office FPS lowers.

so i assumed it wasnt using my DGPU. i copied 3 files. note i have 0 knowledge i was thiking why so smooth in mge and not in openmw. so i explored the mge files and also see 3 files.. i copied them

d3d8.dll
dinput8.dll
SlimDX.dll

this way shows DGPU but FPS seem the same.
i did this because i been struggling for a month. i have done researcrh and learn how to install mods. and trying to get smoothest experience.

but last night i rigjht click and did the select run with graphics processor. checking GPU load and FPS choosing between IGPU and DGPU i noticed load change lower on intel and higher on nvidia and same goes for FPS.
i also notice the optimus option and tried that out.. and using optimus shows DGPU and FPS double.
at resolution of 1280x920 intel next to jiu 40FPS invidia 100FPS and optimus off 200FPS. i tought it wasnt using my IGPU.
i want to keep optimus ON. so since it only showed intel on GPU selections i tought it was only using that.