Can I change the behaviour of the shortcut keys in OpenMW?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
eru777

Can I change the behaviour of the shortcut keys in OpenMW?

Post by eru777 »

I recently bought a new keyboard with many handy shortcuts, however the downfall is that I can't use morrowind's keyboard shortcuts any more.
For example, the F11 + F12 keys I used to press to hide the GUI and take a screenshot are now calculator and snip tool.
Is there a way to change the assigned keys of such shortcuts in the game?
For example: Can I assign a button on my keyboard to both hide the GUI and at the same time take a screenshot? If so, it would be really cool, it would be neat to take advantage of this great keyboard.
akortunov

Re: Can I change the behaviour of the shortcut keys in OpenMW?

Post by akortunov »

A toggle UI and a screenshot buttons are configurable just as any other shourtcuts via the Options menu. You can assign them to any buttons you want.
eru777 wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 19:58 Can I assign a button on my keyboard to both hide the GUI and at the same time take a screenshot?
No, you will have to use two separate keys.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Usually this kind of keyboard has a function key (often labelled Fn) that toggles whether these keys do the shortcut or work as normal F keys. Depending on how the driver's implemented, pressing them in shortcut mode might not even be sent to applications as a keypress, so you might find it's a pain to rebind them if you still want to use the same buttons instead of rebinding those OpenMW actions to some unused keys. There'll also likely be a driver option that controls whether you get the F key or the shortcut key with or without the function key held, so you'll probably be able to change it so you get the old behaviour when you don't press the function key, but your new shortcuts if you do.
eru777

Post by eru777 »

Thank you I will try using Fn
EDIT: Yes it fixed it!