Crash after clicking Load after quicksave

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
vividgamers20

Crash after clicking Load after quicksave

Post by vividgamers20 »

After I make a quicksave, then click to load, the game crashes. There's no error message when this happens.
I'm using the latest 0.49 dev build.
AnyOldName3

Re: Crash after clicking Load after quicksave

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We're going to need a bunch more information, such as your OS, your openmw.log, and your crash dump/log if one of those has been made.
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

My OS is Windows 11 Pro.
A crash dump file has been made, but it doesn't seem to be supported to attach here. Any other way I can provide it?
Attachments
openmw.log
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Put it in a zip (they get much smaller) and if it still won't upload here, share it via something like Google Drive or Mega.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Also, that's a dev build, so we'll want the CI-ID.txt from the zip you downloaded or we won't be able to use the crash dump.
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

Here are the attached files in the zipped archive
Attachments
OpenMW.7z
(856.63 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That CI-ID.txt doesn't seem to match the build the crash dump is from, but the commit hash in the log does. Could you potentially have extracted one dev build on top of another and ended up with a mixture of files from two different builds?

Also, I see the OpenMW process had a USVFS DLL from Mod Organizer 2 loaded, which can only happen if you run OpenMW through MO2, which we don't recommend. Instead, there's the export plugin https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45642 which allows OpenMW's VFS to see MO2's VFS even when MO2 isn't running. There's a very slim chance runing OpenMW through MO2 caused the crash, and a slightly bigger chance that it's what's telling my debugger the OpenMW binary doesn't match as USVFS edits executables in memory.
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

I did update the dev builds mid-playthrough by first deleting the older dev build before extracting the new one.
I also do have the plugin you mentioned in MO2 and I run it every time new mods are added or the load order changes in MO2.
Though I did test a new playthrough running OpenMW directly, but I still get the same kind of crash, though there's no crash dump this time.
During my old playthrough, I also experienced crashes occasionally when crossing cells, especially in quick succession.
I don't encounter such an issue on OpenMW 0.47 release
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Can you please try extracting a dev build to a totally new directory, deleting the existing crash dump, and running it standalone?
vividgamers20

Post by vividgamers20 »

I've tried it now with a new playthrough, but it's still crashing as before.
Any more ideas?