How do I deal with version conflicts between operating systems?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Bedwyr

How do I deal with version conflicts between operating systems?

Post by Bedwyr »

So I've successfully gotten my save folder synchronizing between my new Steam Deck, where OpenMW is working very well and installed and managed by Luxtorpeda, and Windows. Both installs are 0.47.0. However, trying to load a save in Windows I get an error message telling me "This save file was created using a newer version of OpenMW and is thus not supported". What would be causing this and is there a workaround? Is this because the linux version is from some newer build number? Or perhaps does the Luxtorpeda install have something to do with the problem?

Thanks for helping.
AnyOldName3

Re: How do I deal with version conflicts between operating systems?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

One of the installs isn't 0.47. The second line of your openmw.log should be Revision: bac679d5 if it's really 0.47. Potentially one of the two is a 0.47 dev build (i.e. what we're working on before 0.47 is done) or a mislabeled 0.48 dev build.
Bedwyr

Post by Bedwyr »

Thanks for the answer. I figured it might have to do with how Luxtorpeda updates. So if I remove that and install openmw from a software manage to my steam deck, where can I find the correct shortcut or binary to replace the normal morrowind engine in Steam Launch options? I'm familiar with how to do this in windows but not in Linux.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

luxtorpeda has 3 options for openmw :
OpenMW
OpenMW (Latest)
openmw-tes3mp

OpenMW (Latest) gives you a build of openmw master development tree, currently 0.48 .
There have been several changes in the save-format recently and 0.47 can't handle saves from 0.48 .

Try choosing the first option in luxtorpeda, that should give you 0.47 .