Use "Tab" as toggle to focus and unfocus from inventory search box

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
mikeprichard

Use "Tab" as toggle to focus and unfocus from inventory search box

Post by mikeprichard »

This may have been raised before, but I'd appreciate any feedback from the devs as to whether this usability fix can/will be implemented. It seems that when the inventory window is open, the controls are hardcoded to make the "Tab" key focus the cursor in the inventory text search box; however, hitting "Tab" again will not remove the cursor from the search box. The only workaround I've stumbled into is to hit "Esc" to bring up the main menu (Return/Save/Load etc.), which will then force the cursor to no longer be stuck in the inventory search function. Making the "Tab" a toggle for this focus would be very useful. Thanks!

EDIT: In fact, maybe the "Tab" key could be freed up entirely, and in the (likely only occasional) instances a player wants to word-search the inventory, the player would simply manually click in the search field instead, with the field again cleared whenever the inventory window is closed? That would be my personal preference, at least.

EDIT 2: Apparently there's already a git issue that would cover this - https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/5887