System reqs minimum viable os

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
cdoublejj

System reqs minimum viable os

Post by cdoublejj »

I saw the FAQ but, doesn't say which windows OS it will or will not run on? If my windows 3.11 system has issues running openmw should I ask for help here? How about my 98 laptop that can run Morrowind vanilla?

I'm assuming it's XP or later but, I don't see this stated anywhere. It would only take few minutes to update the website and wouldn't cost anything but would be helpful for retro gamers.

Just a thought
CoolthulhuMan

Re: System reqs minimum viable os

Post by CoolthulhuMan »

From the FAQ:
Does OpenMW work on WindowsXP or is there a 32-bit version?

WindowsXP is considered by Microsoft to be “End of Life” as of April 8, 2014 and in addition to this, all tooling around WindowsXP has been removed as of Microsoft Visual Studio (MSVC) 2017. Since WindowsXP was the only reason for keeping 32-bit releases around, we’ve officially decided to drop 32-bit support. Our last release to officially support 32-bit on Windows was 0.46 and all future releases will be 64-bit only. No more need to worry about a 4GiB RAM limit like the original Morrowind.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Ah, and officially, Windows 7 isn't supported thanks to being EOL, too, but we've not knowingly done anything to break it, so your mileage may vary. GPU drivers for Windows 7 aren't getting updated, so if you run into a driver bug, which isn't that rare, you're probably stuck with it forever.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

That now means ... technically... Morrowind isn't a retro game I the sense of retro hardware gaming Morrowind now unofficially officially runs best on newer-ish hardware on newer-ish OSes!

Meaning 98 games are stuck with the broke ass Bethesda game engine.

Now if you count core2quad on windows 7 as retro then I guess you're good to go. At least without a ton-o-mods
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Morrowind and OpenMW are not the same thing.

Morrowind will run on any non End-of-Life Windows OS that supports DirectX8/9 and 32-bit applications. The moment that that stops being the case, then it's retro. :)
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

Not End of life!? XP and windows 98 ARE end of life and Morrowinddwas designed for them.

I'm saying if you're an XP or 98 gamer you don't have any options other than the broke arse game engine morrowind came with lol
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

He wasn't saying it would only run there, just that it currently does run there, i.e. that Morrowind's original engine is currently supported on Windows 10/11 etc., but they might (after a long time - Microsoft don't like breaking legacy applications) make a Windows version in the future that can't run Morrowind any more, and once that's the only non-EOL version of Windows that still exists, Morrowind will definitely be a retro game by anyone's definition.