Issue With In Progress 0.48, Launcher, and builtin.omwscripts line

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
d10sfan

Issue With In Progress 0.48, Launcher, and builtin.omwscripts line

Post by d10sfan »

I'm seeing an issue on Linux after compiling the in-progress master branch.

If I add the content=builtin.omwscripts line to openmw.cfg and launch without the launcher, it works fine and I can see that the lua scripts are working, namely that the crosshair shows up and that 3rd person works.

If I launch using the launcher instead (after having added that line), the launcher seems to remove that line, as when I click play and then look at openmw.cfg again, that line is removed from my openmw.cfg and the lua scripts are no longer being activated, where the crosshair fails to work and 3rd person does not work.
AnyOldName3

Re: Issue With In Progress 0.48, Launcher, and builtin.omwscripts line

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That content file is supposed to be added via the local (in the same directory as the executable) or global (I think somewhere in /var/ on Linux) openmw.cfg, not the user one, which is the only one the launcher has the power to edit. I'm guessing you've got an older OpenMW version's local or global openmw.cfg which is getting used and doesn't load it.
d10sfan

Post by d10sfan »

To make sure I understand, the launcher is supposed to be editing a user openmw.cfg (~/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg) and then openmw itself is supposed to have a openmw.cfg file in the same directory as the binaries (or in the global space if that's being used like /var)?

Then the launcher cfg and that local cfg are being merged? Or is one supposed to take priority over the other?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The gist of the situation is that there are several openmw.cfg files, and their contents get combined (along with command-line arguments) to give the settings that actually get used. Normally, you don't use both the local and global config, with the local config being preferred, and the global config only being used if the local config doesn't exist. Whichever of these two is used is lower-priority than the user config, which is lower-priority than the command line. Single-value variables, like encoding, use the value from the highest-priority source that sets them. Multi-value variables, like content append the lists from the higher-priority sources to the ones from the lower-priority sources, unless the higher-priority source discards the list from the lower-priority sources with the replace option (useful for if you want to test a single thing on its own from the command-line).

If that's not powerful enough, you can also change which config files get loaded and with which priority with the config setting - if you remove the entry from the local config that tells it to load the user config, OpenMW becomes portable, and independent of any other OpenMW installations on the same system, and you can also have several different config files in different directories for several different profiles and have an entry in the user config that you change to point to whichever directory's profile you want to use.
d10sfan

Post by d10sfan »

Thanks that helps alot!