OpenMW 0.48.0 Artefacting

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
segfaultack

OpenMW 0.48.0 Artefacting

Post by segfaultack »

Manually built OpenMW from gitlab because the official repo stopped working for me after a BIOS update. Turns out I built 0.48.0. Either way, I've been having some artefacting issues. Here's a screengrab: https://gfycat.com/coolmeagerladybird

Anyone know what's causing this?

Specs (please don't laugh):
Intel i5-4300Y
2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
No dedicated GPU
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.48.0 Artefacting

Post by psi29a »

Updating your bios should not cause that to happen, likely it was package updates that happened before you rebooted to update your bios.

Wrong or missing symbols indicates that you have libraries installed from Ubuntu and not from our ppa.

Glad you were able to build latest, so that's cool.

Integrated graphics aren't the best. Have you tried tuning some of the settings with the launcher like shadows and lighting to try to get rid of the artefacting?

It almost seems like it's a hardware problem.

To help diagnose what could be the problem, try disabling everything and start enabling one thing at a time until the problem starts appearing.
segfaultack

Post by segfaultack »

psi29a wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 08:51 Integrated graphics aren't the best.
Yeah :( I'm poor rn so no dedicated GPU for a while.
psi29a wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 08:51 Have you tried tuning some of the settings with the launcher like shadows and lighting to try to get rid of the artefacting?
I monkeyed around with it just now and tried every combination of shader and shadow near far computation methods and the artefacting seems to have been fixed with compatibility shaders and SNFCM set to primitives. Very odd considering the previous version didn't display any artefacting using the legacy shaders.

FPS has also improved by 2-10!

And yeah, very well could be a hardware problem. Dell 7139 had issues with excessive throttling, plus this one's a refurb. I did some mods to it that should have dealt with the throttling though so maybe the i5-4300Y is just too shit for OpenMW to run passably.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Setting compute scene bounds back to bounds should give you some performance back and won't bring the artefacting back. It only changes how things are done on the CPU, and it's clearly either the GPU or GPU driver producing the problem.
segfaultack

Post by segfaultack »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 19:55 Setting compute scene bounds back to bounds should give you some performance back and won't bring the artefacting back. It only changes how things are done on the CPU, and it's clearly either the GPU or GPU driver producing the problem.
Weirdly enough it still seems to cause very intermittent artefacting when set to bounds. Only like one or two over the course of a few hours, but having it set to primitives has none in the same timeframe. Would have to run formal trials to confirm that though. Either way, it didn't improve performance or worsen it aside from the extremely infrequent artefacts.