Segmentation fault, mostly when saving (ubuntu)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
segfaultack

Segmentation fault, mostly when saving (ubuntu)

Post by segfaultack »

Hello,

Been having trouble with segmentation faults. All the info is here: https://old.reddit.com/r/OpenMW/comment ... ge_ubuntu/

Thought it had something to do with loading music files but that doesn't seem to be the case. It mostly happens when saving (especially quick saving) but also sometimes happens when loading new cells.

In one of the first crashes it gave a memory address for the segmentation fault. It normally says (nil) though.

Anyone know what the deal is?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Segmentation fault, mostly when saving (ubuntu)

Post by psi29a »

If you are installing from Ubuntu, it's possible that you are running against a known issue where the Ubuntu packages an old buggy version of OSG (3.6.4) which causes crashes.

Can you verify which version of OSG you have installed?

The work around is to use our PPA where we make all the packages necessary to install and run openmw.

https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/ubuntu/openmw

The instructions are there.
segfaultack

Post by segfaultack »

Uninstalled OpenMW and reinstalled from the official repo. Definitely a different version than the one I installed through apt.
psi29a wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 06:34 If you are installing from Ubuntu, it's possible that you are running against a known issue where the Ubuntu packages an old buggy version of OSG (3.6.4) which causes crashes.

Can you verify which version of OSG you have installed?
Running dpkg -S openscenegraph returns this:

Code: Select all

openscenegraph: /usr/share/doc/openscenegraph
openscenegraph: /usr/share/doc/openscenegraph/copyright
openscenegraph: /usr/share/doc/openscenegraph/changelog.Debian.gz
libopenscenegraph161:amd64: /usr/share/doc/libopenscenegraph161/changelog.Debian.gz
libopenscenegraph161:amd64: /usr/share/doc/libopenscenegraph161/copyright
libopenscenegraph161:amd64: /usr/share/lintian/overrides/libopenscenegraph161
libopenscenegraph161:amd64: /usr/share/doc/libopenscenegraph161
The first three entries are from me installing openscenegraph independently and probably aren't affecting anything. Still crashes.
I imagine based on the name of the last 4 entries that the version is 1.61.

HOWEVER, the crashes have changed with the new version. The crashes now consistently give a memory address and they also happen more often. I've attached the terminal outputs and crash logs for two of the crashes.

EDIT: I've also had two signal 6 fatal errors and another just now. Terminal output and crash log attached.
Attachments
openmw-crashsig6.log
(57.16 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
terminalout1.txt
(5.73 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
terminalout2.txt
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
openmw-crash1.log
(53.81 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
openmw-crash2.log
(53.8 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by segfaultack on 09 Jun 2022, 03:02, edited 2 times in total.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

161 is the internal version number used by upstream released osg 3.6.5 .

The openmw osg fork also reports as osg 3.6.5 in openmw.log , but uses 162 as internal version,
osg 3.6.4 used 160 .
segfaultack

Post by segfaultack »

I think I have it figured out now since I haven't crashed in a while. First issue was due to the OpenSceneGraph bug. Subsequent crashes after installing from the official repo were due to not having enough memory. Made certain my swap partition was functioning and reduced all graphics settings. Game is now stable. However, upgrading to the official repo has caused some performance issues (used to just be low fps, now it's low fps and something like rubber banding). Anyone know how to make OpenMW more playable on integrated graphics? CPU is an i5-4300 for reference. 8GB RAM, likely DDR3 based on the age of this lemon.

EDIT: Riiiip, so I updated my BIOS to the latest version (A28, Dell 7139) and now I get /openmw: symbol lookup error: ./openmw: undefined symbol: _ZNK3osg6Camera25computeLocalToWorldMatrixERNS_7MatrixdEPNS_11NodeVisitorE when I press Play on the launcher.

EDIT: Fixed the above error by OpenMW manually. Still poor performance though. EDIT: In fact, it's worse now. Keep getting flashes of things in the environment.
Last edited by segfaultack on 12 Jun 2022, 02:30, edited 2 times in total.