Issues with distant lights

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
randomtestsubject

Issues with distant lights

Post by randomtestsubject »

Hi, this is my first post here, and the first thing I'd like to say is thank you for OpenMW - Morrowind is my all-time favorite game so I've been following this project for about five years with great interest and appreciation.

The problem I am having is that I've been unable to accomplish something with OpenMW development build that I am when going back to .46 - no matter what changes I've made to object paging settings (or any other settings) I cannot get lights to render outside the 3x3 cell grid I am centered in. Using the entrance to Vivec as an example, here is what I see with .46, glow in the dahrk, and exterior cell load distance set to 2:
screenshot003.png
and from the same location in the most recent development build:
screenshot005.png
From what I can ascertain, the lack of lights in the second image is related to where those lights fall on the cell grid. Using the following image as a guide, when I move from the location indicated into the cell with the boat transport, the lights from Telvanni and Arena appear instantly:
Honeyview_3.jpg
I have experimented with every setting I could think of to no avail. When I set the exterior cell load distance to 1 in .46 it looks the same as the second image. My understanding from researching the forums though is that the exterior cell load distance was removed in favor of object paging. I have set the minimum paging size in the dev build to an infinitesimally small value, but that didn't solve the problem.

So my questions are:

1) Are there parameters in the settings.cfg of the most recent version of OpenMW that can make the second picture look like the first, and if so what should those be changed to?

2) If not, can changes be made in OpenMW to allow for lights to be seen along with other distant objects beyond the immediately surrounding grid cells?

I'm not a fan of ridiculous draw distances in Morrowind (I usually set it to about 5 cells) but seeing distant lights within that range, especially seeing Vivec all lit up when arriving at night via silt strider, is an awesome thing for immersion. Any help or attention to this dream of a well lit Morrowind is greatly appreciated!
akortunov

Re: Issues with distant lights

Post by akortunov »

exterior cell load distance set to 2
This setting was removed in 0.47 because a Distant Land variant (called Object Paging) was implemented. Unfortunately, it does not support NiSwitchNode nodes used by Glow in the Dahrk yet. Also it ignores small objects (such as lanterns), so no glow.

And note that 0.47 has a new lighting system with a light fading feature ("maximum light distance", 8192 units = 1 cell by default).
randomtestsubject

Re: Issues with distant lights

Post by randomtestsubject »

Thank you for clarifying the details of why it's not possible at this point, much appreciated! Are those features something you have in mind for a future update?

I have experimented with the new lighting system, if I understand the fading feature, all visible lights maintain full brightness when set to 0, correct?