Fog start and end distance being configurable in settings

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
miomega122

Fog start and end distance being configurable in settings

Post by miomega122 »

It would be really nice if this was easily configurable, in launcher or in game. MGEXE allows you to do this, and I really like being able to set fog end right before render distance, so you don't see terrain rendering in.
AnyOldName3

Re: Fog start and end distance being configurable in settings

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The fog does reach full opacity before the end of the render distance (unless you've accidentally changed some settings that decouple it - they're documented here: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... istant-fog). Is the thing you don't like just that you can see fog-coloured silhouettes appearing at the end of the render distance? Fog doesn't get applied to the skybox, so it doesn't blend well with objects and terrain. That's actually the same as the vanilla engine and as far as I remember, MGE XE too, but it possibly does another trick afterwards to cover it up, e.g. fading things out that are fully fogged so you see the skybox through them.
miomega122

Re: Fog start and end distance being configurable in settings

Post by miomega122 »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 12 May 2022, 22:37 The fog does reach full opacity before the end of the render distance (unless you've accidentally changed some settings that decouple it - they're documented here: https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... istant-fog). Is the thing you don't like just that you can see fog-coloured silhouettes appearing at the end of the render distance? Fog doesn't get applied to the skybox, so it doesn't blend well with objects and terrain. That's actually the same as the vanilla engine and as far as I remember, MGE XE too, but it possibly does another trick afterwards to cover it up, e.g. fading things out that are fully fogged so you see the skybox through them.
Yeah I realized that after going back end experimenting and looking at some og xbox gameplay. I still need to go back to mgexe and see what's up there but I definitely remember being able to fully hide the silhouettes in the fog. Oh well, not many people are bothered by it, I just find it distracting. I'd like to play with the render distance really low without having to see that, but considering it was always there, I suppose I'm not bothered much if openmw doesn't go out of its way to hide it.