Cannot see character in menus

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Arjuna

Cannot see character in menus

Post by Arjuna »

Hi All,

Was literally playing this 20 years ago. At the time I was working in the test labs of a computing magazine, and I remember for a while we used a 3D benchmark app that used Morrowind's graphics engine to run hardware tests, haha. Memories.

Saw a tweet about it's 20th anniversary and decided to buy it and run it on my Mac. Ok... so I've download it from steam and I'm up and running. But during the character creation at the start and in the inventory menu, I cannot see my character. It is just a black silhouette (I tried to take screenshots, but I don't know if that worked, or where they might be saved if it did). I have played around with the graphic settings, menu transparency etc. but it hasn't made a difference. Anyone else had this problem?

Running a MacBook M1 Pro 2021, Monterey 12.2.1
AnyOldName3

Re: Cannot see character in menus

Post by AnyOldName3 »

This is likely https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/6687

MacOS' OpenGL drivers aren't very reliable, and the M1 ones are even worse than their predecessors. You might be able to work around this kind of problem my changing the lighting mode as mentioned in the issue report, but otherwise your only recourse is to get a 'real' computer, campaign for Apple to take OpenGL seriously, or campaign for someone to make something like MoltenGL free. We don't have enough graphics engineers to be able to make a whole separate rendering backend just for the minority of Mac users.
Arjuna

Re: Cannot see character in menus

Post by Arjuna »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 02 May 2022, 16:09 This is likely https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/6687

MacOS' OpenGL drivers aren't very reliable, and the M1 ones are even worse than their predecessors. You might be able to work around this kind of problem my changing the lighting mode as mentioned in the issue report, but otherwise your only recourse is to get a 'real' computer, campaign for Apple to take OpenGL seriously, or campaign for someone to make something like MoltenGL free. We don't have enough graphics engineers to be able to make a whole separate rendering backend just for the minority of Mac users.
Ahh. Okay then. Guess I'll probably have to put up with it for now. I'll check out the report and tinker around a bit more. Thanks for the reply.