What are the ideal graphics settings for my setup ?

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
ImperialSpy

What are the ideal graphics settings for my setup ?

Post by ImperialSpy »

As we all know, bethesda has recently allowed migration of games from their old launcher to steam. I decided to use the opportunity to get back into morrowind, but the original engine outright crashed my system, so I reckon OpenMW is probably the way to go.

I'm having a little bit of difficulty setting up the graphics though, my frame rates are mediocre (20-30) on interiors and terrible (10-20) on exteriors, I did a little testing and the main culprit seems to be anti aliasing, disabling it makes interiors shoot up to over 100, but exteriors remain on the same range. My hardware isn't dedicated to gaming and I don't really know how all the different settings impact performace. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics card is an integrated Intel(R) UHD Graphics
System: Windows 11

Can anyone help me to find what settings would be the best compromise between performace and graphics in my system ? I'm fine with around 30 fps.
lambda

Re: What are the ideal graphics settings for my setup ?

Post by lambda »

Not an answer to your query, but better to post list of mods you use, including graphics replacers, as those things can have a dramatic impact. If your computer specs are low and you go to mainland Ebonhert (from Tamriel Rebuilt) you *will* get a significant fps drop.
ImperialSpy

Post by ImperialSpy »

I'm not using any mods, only the expansions and the official plugins.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

ImperialSpy wrote: My hardware isn't dedicated to gaming and I don't really know how all the different settings impact performace. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10110U CPU @ 2.10GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics card is an integrated Intel(R) UHD Graphics
System: Windows 11
4 GB total memory is already very low for any recent windows version.
Combined with an integrated intel gpu your system is probably memory starved continously and will swap a lot .
I hope you got a fast ssd in the system ?

In the launcher disable shadows and set lighting to legacy . Also don't use Distant Land and reduce view distance.

Reducing video resolution is proably also be a good idea.
ImperialSpy

Post by ImperialSpy »

I have an ssd, yes.

Just tested it, it runs perfectly now and still looks a little better than the original engine, thank you for the help.
Last edited by ImperialSpy on 03 May 2022, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.