The Current Engine Fitness for Original Games

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
Zarrgon66

The Current Engine Fitness for Original Games

Post by Zarrgon66 »

Hi, I'm a Game Dev Student and have been looking to do projects outside of college to boost my portfolio and network with others both hobbyists and professionals, as a result, I have been looking at OpenMW from time to time and as such I wish to know if it is fit for making original games?
AnyOldName3

Re: The Current Engine Fitness for Original Games

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Kinda. The editor's not really up to scratch yet, our non-Nif workflow is still relatively primitive, and you'll still have to implement most game scripts as MWScript rather than Lua, but our example suite (a basic demo game to show off OpenMW's abilities without requiring any Bethesda intellectual property) is making progress despite all this.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: The Current Engine Fitness for Original Games

Post by psi29a »

*shakes head*... say "yes" AnyOldName3 :lol:

I would like to say that OpenMW-CS is a fine piece of tooling for you to build a game, but it's really rough around the edges and still needs a lot of love. Not many people want to work on that rather than OpenMW itself.

That being said, I was able to create a PoC many years ago in spite of this and start the template/example-suite project. It's come a long way since then. That being said, I think you'll spend a good portion of your time trying to create assets than building your world.

We have a few guides and OpenMW-CS videos demoing some of what it can do. It too has come a long way though in the last years though.

It's no Godot, Unity or UE editor.

Just setting expectations. :)

Note: if you mean OpenMW is fit for an original game, yeah, absolutely!