feedback to 0.47 / bug report / feature requests

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
oldChimer

Re: feedback to 0.47 / bug report / feature requests

Post by oldChimer »

:) Nice to see that we have some things sorted out.
I am sorry to admit this, but I had quite a stuffed week and neither time nor the mood to strip my MW installation apart and find out where the problems might or might not be, but I'll post my results here as soon as I have some.
Regarding the vanity cam issue — I am a bit at a loss, since (as I wrote last time) a fresh, unpatched install of MW straight from the DVD into testing turned out to be the way I described it, including the camera remaining in vanity mode after a long press and then release of <vanity cam key> so that I have to tap <vanity cam key> again to return to normal character control. I'll check that again with another version (I have three versions of MW, the original 1.0 as well as the German and English GotY 1.6 versions). I'm not insisting „I'm right, you're wrong”, but I'll need to find out why my versions behave differently if it is not „pristine Bethesda-shipped behaviour”.
Oh, and AbuMorrow, I need to apologise, because I misunderstood your statement about the back-ported normal maps — it happens a lot that people confuse glow maps for normal maps and think they're the same. As far as I know, those normal maps MW did-but-didn't support were interpreted by MW the same way as glow maps (correct me if I am wrong) and looked weird in-game until MCP introduced a patch which changed this, as you stated.
To take you up on your last post: „simple” sounds a lot more sensible and credible ;) . But if things were as simple as to enable anybody to do them, they wouldn't be challenging enough to be bothered with, would they? :D

psi29a: I agree with the objective of not diving too deep in the old data structures used in MW, but as with the DX texture/x-map format, it is something modders and mod users will have to be aware of — modders in the sense that they need to either create their mods so that they are compatible with both MW and OpenMW or alternately create an OpenMW specific alternate version, mod users need to be made aware that their preferred mod might not work in OpenMW, at least not as intended.
Regarding the potential MWSE compatibility: I was always assuming we're talking of high-level (ie., script-level) compatibility which would be implemented in OpenMWs current scripting engine, because it does absolutely not matter how it works under the hood as long as the right/intended thing happens. Implementing an API in that sense of the word would be superfluous because it would involve re-coding parts of both projects' APIs, which would be a nuisance to both projects and stall them until a common code base has been established. Which, in turn, would be massively counter-productive. Instead, it would be easier to occasionally update OpenMWs scripting engine from the list of available commands of the latest MWSE release; this would also allow „MWSE” commands to benefit from the features of the SceneGraph/OpenMW engine. Well, in theory at least, it would make an arrangement other than „allow us to copy your command set and update us on new features” with the MWSE team obsolete.

Helping out with OpenMW field-testing/debugging etc: Once I've sorted out all the problems OpenMW currently has/makes with my set of mods (136 of them, replacers not counted in), I intend to post a small „what to do if…”, if you're okay with that. Like, what to change in the load order, what to do if OpenMW doesn't correctly display textures in MS-Bitmap or Targa format and stuff like that, although some of the solutions will involve using Gimp (or another graphics editor) and NifSkope and maybe even Blender with the NIFTools im- and export-scripts. With others, I fear I must defer solutions to you, eg., if scripting does not work correctly or not at all.
Some mods show the problem OpenMW had with older versions of Tamriel Rebuilt, where meshes were placed differently and made doors and activators inaccessible, is there a kind of quick-fix solution to it (other than editing the plugin)?

Edit: Can somebody do me a favour and look into this: After a while of playing, I needed to re-enter the Census Excise office in Seyda Neen, and suddenly all doors were locked and I wasn't allowed to leave — »You will go nowhere until you have your release papers.« Which seems as if the chargen scripts had been re-started. Does this happen to anyone of you, too?