Sneaking... Its surprisingly HARD?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Violen

Sneaking... Its surprisingly HARD?

Post by Violen »

So this is My first stealth character, so maybe what i'm experiencing is just the vanilla mechanics?
I have 60 sneak and 65 agility, YET, I can stand a mile behind pretty much any NPC and still have my sneak being spotted by nearly every check made 0.0 (It flashes the Sneak icon on and off) Faster then the 5 seconds I thought checks were bound to
Also when this Sneak icon is flashing, If i attempt to steal anything in the small window it was working, i am ALLWAYS caught.

IS this supposed to be how it works? I have watched this Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY-nOyncTV4 thus feel like i Understand the system, But even still, My experience feelz buggy as hell. Like Maybe the mod 'Patches for purists' is causing something funky to happen.
One more thing that might be related, NPC hit boxes feel way bigger then they did when i was playing My last save with Rebirth instead of PFP. Could be just in my head, But never did i have an issue with NpC's blocking me on my Rebirth save.

Edit: Also i'm guessing I still need to download a mod that fixes pickpocketing?
krogg

Re: Sneaking... Its surprisingly HARD?

Post by krogg »

Violen wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 14:12 So this is My first stealth character, so maybe what i'm experiencing is just the vanilla mechanics?
I have 60 sneak and 65 agility, YET, I can stand a mile behind pretty much any NPC and still have my sneak being spotted
It is like this in the original game. I have to have sneak and luck both rather high to get any reliability. Chameleon spells help, also.
Also when this Sneak icon is flashing, If i attempt to steal anything in the small window it was working, i am ALLWAYS caught.
This also is as it is in real Morrowind. Back in the day it was common practice to trick NPCs into facing the other way (talking to them usually steers them to face you (after you exit the conversation)) or waiting for them to walk out of line-of-site.