Void Linux 64bit, OpenMW 0.47.0_1 - some pink textures

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
AnyOldName3

Re: Void Linux 64bit, OpenMW 0.47.0_1 - some pink textures

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There are still some minor performance improvements, although it's mostly just that the default values for some of the CMake config has changed. There's also the fact that OSG 3.4.1 is ancient now and missing a bunch of stuff (a big thing is support for some rarer TGA variants) and there's no OSG 3.6.x release that doesn't have regressions that affect OpenMW, so you need a tip-of-tree build. We only move commits from the upstream 3.6 branch to ours once we've verified they don't break stuff, so it's a little safer to use our fork than living on the bleeding edge.
krogg

Post by krogg »

After some adventures, I fetched & compiled the proper version of OpenSceneGraph. After that, there were no change in OpenMW's TGA reading problem.

Gradually, I've begun to convert the TGA files that OpenMW fails on to DDS. It's a workaround.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Not sure what you mean by "proper" OSG; but I'm going to assume you mean upstream OSG which doesn't have TGA fixes in any release.

TGA fixes should be in OSGoS which we use to build our releases of OpenMW.

We are all waiting for OSG to finally release 3.6.6
krogg

Post by krogg »

psi29a wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 12:50 Not sure what you mean by "proper" OSG;
I was informed as to what was considered the proper version of OpenScene Graph in this thread: https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?t=7762
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Okay... but what command did you run, what branch are you using?

You should be on branch: "3.6"; not master nor "OpenSceneGraph-3.6"

Only "3.6" should have the TGA fixes.
krogg

Post by krogg »

psi29a wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 15:22 Okay... but what command did you run, what branch are you using?
I ran a browser, as apparently this is the only way on a git site to get to exact specific versions.
I totally do not understand. So, 3.6 but not 3.6.
Only "3.6" should have the TGA fixes.
All I know is (a) whatever I'm running refuses to read some of the TGAs that Morrowind has been reading since the mid 2000s. (b) Whatever OpenMW version I was running a year ago handled all those valid TGAs just fine.

Gonna rant now. Not directed at you but more in general.

For God fucking sake! The Targa file format specification was finished in the 1980s. It's very simple. The information needed to write a TGA parser has been on the net since the 1990s. Compared to all the other stuff OpenMW has to to, it's trivial! It's like forgetting how to add numbers. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's actually not simple. There's incompatible wording between the TGA 1.0 spec and the TGA 2.0 spec, and a bunch of stuff is underspecified, so there's no way to be sure how to interpret some fields from the spec alone. Instead, you need to see what the reference implementation does, which is implemented in hardware on some graphics cards from the late eighties and early nineties. Only a small number of those cards were produced as they were intended for niche video editing tasks only certain professional studios were doing back then, so there aren't many available for sale that still work, and they're expensive and don't include the drivers, and the drivers don't seem to be on the internet anywhere, so it's not feasible to check the reference implementation unless you've got access to a computer museum that'll let you play with their exhibits. On top of that, there are TGAs in the wild that definitely won't work on these cards as they either depend on off-spec behaviour in the software they were made to work with or use things that were never in the spec but people decided to hack on as an extra.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Okay... but what command did you run, what branch are you using?
I ran a browser, as apparently this is the only way on a git site to get to exact specific versions.
I don't know how you got this impression, but it's not accurate. You can just use your regular Git client with any of the modern Git hosting sites, be it the command-line one or something with a GUI like TortoiseGit. Even if you did do everything via the web interface, we still need to know what you did to end up with what you've ended up with, as different sequences of clicks will give different results.
I totally do not understand. So, 3.6 but not 3.6.
In case you hadn't noticed, OpenSceneGraph-3.6 and 3.6 are different pieces of text. Note in particular the OpenSceneGraph- prefix on one, but not the other. However, I think both these branches should have the latest batch of TGA improvements.