OpenMW 0.48.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
K1ll

Re: OpenMW 0.48.0

Post by K1ll »

Linux generic targz package RC4:

64 Bit
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Windows RC4:

64-bit (PDBs)

This time I've also personally tested the build before posting it here.
daedren

Post by daedren »

Hi guys, I've been trying to search more about a portable version of OpenMW without much success. I've found what seems to be an issue on your tracker which seemed to imply that a portable version of the engine had already been merged into the main stream, but I can't seem to find any updated info on it.

I have a GOG install in an external SSD that I'm looking to mod and be able to play anywhere I go, and I'd like OpenMW to be portable as well so I don't have to install anything on any computer I want to run it in.

Is that possible with 0.48.0? Do I need to wait for the official release?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

In the openmw.cfg in the same directory as the OpenMW binary, you'll find this:

Code: Select all

data-local="?userdata?data"
user-data="?userdata?"
config="?userconfig?"
Change it to

data-local="./data"
user-data="./userdata"
(including getting rid of the config line) and that'll make OpenMW portable. The launcher won't work properly like this, so you'll need to remember to avoid it and edit settings files by hand until we sort that out.
daedren

Post by daedren »

Thank you so much. I'll keep an eye out for potential future updates on this, but for now, this will do. Thank you.
daedren

Post by daedren »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 00:29 In the openmw.cfg in the same directory as the OpenMW binary, you'll find this:

data-local="?userdata?data"
user-data="?userdata?"
config="?userconfig?"
Change it to

data-local="./data"
user-data="./userdata"
(including getting rid of the config line) and that'll make OpenMW portable. The launcher won't work properly like this, so you'll need to remember to avoid it and edit settings files by hand until we sort that out.
I was not able to run OpenMW by just doing what you said, but managed to solve it by doing the following:

1. I had OpenMW installed inside the Morrowind folder as "Morrowind/OpenMW". I transferred its contents to the main Morrowind folder instead.
2. Copied "Documents/My Games/OpenMW" contents into the "Morrowind/OpenMW" folder, so that now I see the following folders inside the main Morrowind directory: "Data Files", "osgPlugins-3.6.5", "platforms", "resources", "styles" and "userdata".
3. Opened "Morrowind/openmw.cfg" and changed the lines you pointed me like thus:
data-local="./Data Files"
user-data="./userdata"
config="./userdata"

Only after I did this I was able to run OpenMW successfully through "Morrowind/openmw.exe".

I am also able to run the launcher, but every time I launch it shows the message box about not finding the Data Files location, I click "Skip" and everything works -- including changing settings there, as it will update the "Morrowind/userdata/settings.cfg" file. Oh, it also creates a new "Documents/My Games/OpenMW" folder every time with a single "launcher.log" file.

Other than this, I can use saves, screenshots, settings, everything pretty well.

If you could disable the automatic creation of the OpenMW folder in the documents when we open the Launcher and the message about being unable to find the Data Files (which, by the way, it still shows in the correct folder, but with the absolute path), then it would be truly portable.

Do you think this would be able to be implemented in the release of version 0.48?

EDIT: After copying my folder to my external SSD, it doesn't work anymore. Running "openmw.exe" shows up the message 'No default settings file found! Make sure the file "defaults.bin" was properly installed.', while trying to open the launcher shows up an error also related to the file "defaults.bin". The weird thing is that it is present in the folder.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The launcher isn't aware of this system yet, hence why I said it wouldn't work properly if you tried using it.
daedren

Post by daedren »

Thank you for your support, @AnyOldName3! I really appreciate it.

Sadly, when I copied the folder into my external ssd, I couldn't run even "openmw.exe". As of now, I don't know what to do, but I'll try to poke some more in the settings. If I find anything worthwhile, I'll let you know.
AbuMorrow

Post by AbuMorrow »

Do the Windows RC builds not have bullet built with multithreaded support?
Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

I think I've seen the question before, but no answer. Is VR being fully merged in 0.48 yet? Meaning, do I still need to install the VR fork over the main OpenMW to fully run OpenMW in VR?