OpenMW 0.48.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.48.0

Post by psi29a »

Correct, VR is not in 0.48
SadOldMagician

Post by SadOldMagician »

Quick question, I am running OpenMW on two different systems, a PC (windows, primarily) and a Steam Deck(steamOS/linux/unix/gnu/whatever), and spent some time setting up a shared folder over my home network to share the same save files. After figuring this out, it appears that saves are incompatible between the two versions. Am I just doing this wrong, or is it what I suspect.

I suspect that there is some change to the save files in the 0.48 RC that makes it not backwards compatible with the 0.47 Flatpak release. I haven't extensively tested this, but unless there's some... "import save" function I missed somewhere, I can't imagine it would be anything else?

Just wondering if I goofed it up by starting a save on the RC.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Yeah, typically we'll need to modify the saved game format between releases, e.g. if we discover a new thing we didn't know the original engine tracked. We guarantee backwards compatibility (so a 0.47 or older save will load in 0.48), but not forwards compatibility (so a save from 0.48 won't load in 0.47).
SadOldMagician

Post by SadOldMagician »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 01:23 Yeah, typically we'll need to modify the saved game format between releases, e.g. if we discover a new thing we didn't know the original engine tracked. We guarantee backwards compatibility (so a 0.47 or older save will load in 0.48), but not forwards compatibility (so a save from 0.48 won't load in 0.47).
ah, shucks. Well, I guess it's fine. Just a bummer I can't have my makeshift cloud save, is all. Here's hoping to a smooth RC -> release schedule for yous guys. I know I'll be keeping an eye on the flatpak version :)
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

It would be nice to have have flatpak nightlies for the Steam Deck...
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

darkbasic wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:03 It would be nice to have have flatpak nightlies for the Steam Deck...
The beta branch on Flathub is of the 0.48.0 branch, though I've not been actively pushing new builds in time with the other RCs - since the user base of the beta branch has been basically nil apart from myself in verifying that it'll work once promoted to main. I'll start pushing updates there as well again though, no real reason not to.
I just pushed the current RC though, so in a while (~20min) it should be through the Flathub build pipeline, and be available at
https://flathub.org/beta-repo/appstream ... flatpakref

Launching it might be a bit more complex though, since you need to specify the beta branch - and it doesn't actually install a different .desktop file for the beta branch as it's only currently set up for pre-release test builds. So you'd have to do something like flatpak run org.openmw.OpenMW//beta - or manually copy the .desktop file and update the name/exec
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

It looks like we are missing a dependency for the Collada plugin in our Windows RCs: according to AnyOldName3, we need "osgSim.dll" to make it work. At the moment, OpenMW fails to load "dae" files when you want to use Game Template / Example Suite models.

@Ace: I hope this is an easy fix. If you need someone to test the Windows build, just shoot me a message.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Possibly related - I've seen Collada warnings when building on Linux (Ubuntu 22.10):
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:276 (find_package):
By not providing "Findcollada_dom.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project
has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"collada_dom", but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "collada_dom"
(requested version 2.5) with any of the following names:

collada_domConfig.cmake
collada_dom-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "collada_dom" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"collada_dom_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If
"collada_dom" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
has been installed.
Loriel
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Either:
  • You've not installed your distro's Collada DOM development package.
  • The version your distro has isn't compatible with OSG for some reason.
  • Someone's messed up a pkg-config or CMake module or something so you'll need to give CMake some help finding your Collada DOM install.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Looks like Collada DOM was installed, but not the dev package. Now installed and the warning seems to be gone.
Thanks

Loriel