OpenMW 0.48.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Tobias44

Re: OpenMW 0.48.0

Post by Tobias44 »

Ah sorry, you are right. I created all 4 save files for Morrowind, Starwind, Arktwend and Myar Aranath, there are all there. I do not use the launcher, I only renaming the different config files. The save files disappeared because I used RC11 but before I tried RC9. So it means before switching to a new Linux binary version I should backup the save files in "/home/user/.local/share/openmw/saves/".

Could somebody please confirm whether "Pursuit - OpenMW-50271-0-15" works on the newest build? I really like that mod and want to know whether I missed something or not. Thanks a lot.
willlone

Post by willlone »

Having some issues with RC11.1 -- graphical flickering on some objects such as torches, and occasional freezing on opening menu screen. I will try a clean install of RC12 without any mods to see if it changes, but, is this an issue already being addressed? Or should it be made into a bug report on Gitlab?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's on MacOS, right? Do the same problems not happen in 0.47 or the earlier 0.48 RCs? For the freeze, is it definitely a freeze? To clarify the terminology:
  • Freezes are when OpenMW stops doing anything for at least five seconds (or whatever the threshold is on your OS), and on Windows, you get the OpenMW appears to have frozen popup. If you press the Abort button, you should get a freeze dump you can send us. If it's frozen, it'll probably stay frozen no matter how long you leave it.
  • Lags are when you press a button, and it takes a while for the game to do anything about it. This basically never happens in single-player games as it's usually down to it taking a long time to synchronise with other players over a network.
  • Hitches are when one or two frames take much longer than normal, like a really tiny freeze too short to trigger the freeze catcher.
  • Framerate drops are when a sequence of frames takes longer than normal.
  • Low framerate is when basically every frame takes longer than you want.
willlone

Post by willlone »

Yes, macOS. Definitely was a freeze. The menu locked up completely and I was unable to do anything. I am not sure about earlier RCs for 0.48 but this was not an issue with 0.47 at all. Is there a crash dump for macOS? I was going to try RC12, but can download 11.1 again to try and re-create the issue (the freezes seemed random, and didn't occur every time I opened the program).
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Tobias44 wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 11:36 Hey guys, I have tested the Linux built RC11. Works great, however three mods are not working anymore, I guess they need an update right?
- TES3A-Abecean-Isles-20032023 complains about different esm masterfile missing, but did not before.
More likely it is not configured properly on your setup. This mod requires some additional master files plugged in (TES3A_Data.esm, Tamriel_Data.esm, Hammerfell_data.esm).
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

willlone wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 05:07 Yes, macOS. Definitely was a freeze. The menu locked up completely and I was unable to do anything. I am not sure about earlier RCs for 0.48 but this was not an issue with 0.47 at all. Is there a crash dump for macOS? I was going to try RC12, but can download 11.1 again to try and re-create the issue (the freezes seemed random, and didn't occur every time I opened the program).
You can generate crash logs, but they're a hassle, and wouldn't happen automatically in the case of a freeze. I'm not sure what options we have for field debugging MacOS issues, and I don't know who'd know, either. Hopefully, someone does and is following this thread.

On Windows, before we had the built-in freeze catcher, our normal approach was to tell users to go into task manager, right click the OpenMW process, and choose the option to create a dump. Then they could send it us and we'd be able to inspect it in a debugger. Maybe MacOS has something similar, but I don't remember finding that button when I was trying to make my work Mac stop freezing, so there's a good chance it doesn't.
Dadinjo

Post by Dadinjo »

There is bug with controller. Using left stick for moving mouse often reset (or move somwhere else) scrolling postion.
Tobias44

Post by Tobias44 »

Hi Akortunov, yes maybe I misunderstand the website of the mod "TES3A-Abecean-Isles", my bad. They stated at "https://www.project-tamriel.com/viewtopic.php?t=2474" that the file "TES3A_Data_2022-06-21.7z" should have all the requirements. But anyway I can swear I used the mod with RC<11 and it did not complain about missing esm files. Seems to be a good sign that RC11/RC12 builds are working more correct now.
By the way do you know whether "Pursuit - OpenMW-50271-0-15" is working with Linux RC11 build? It doesn't for me. Thank you.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Code: Select all

commit 3b669c2b02e71e07a1cad6a4558f575608974a4e (HEAD -> openmw-48, tag: openmw-48-rc12.1, origin/openmw-48)
Merge: 0a593c4741 33884dba30
Author: psi29a <[email protected]>
Date:   Thu Jul 13 08:01:35 2023 +0000

Merge branch 'nsaids-for-shared-memory-structs-48' into 'openmw-48'

Share the dump directory for crash and freeze dumps for 0.48

See merge request OpenMW/openmw!3222
openmw-48-rc12.1 has been tagged, windows builds please :)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

willlone wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 05:07 Yes, macOS. Definitely was a freeze. The menu locked up completely and I was unable to do anything. I am not sure about earlier RCs for 0.48 but this was not an issue with 0.47 at all. Is there a crash dump for macOS? I was going to try RC12, but can download 11.1 again to try and re-create the issue (the freezes seemed random, and didn't occur every time I opened the program).
From https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... ine-progra
You could try issuing a SIGABRT or SIGQUIT signal if you know the process
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... ash-report

This should tell Apple to trigger a crash report which you can copy and paste here. :)