First ever MW playthrough-advice

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
pcrump

First ever MW playthrough-advice

Post by pcrump »

Hi,

This will be my first time ever playing the game so want a vanilla experience. Should I just run OpenMW as is and play with that? I know some patches are considered essentially required, are those already included in this or do I need to add them? Or is OpenMW not recommended for a first time player?

If there were like a vanilla mod list for OpenMW that would be great. I really did try and look but couldn't find one.

Thanks
AnyOldName3

Re: First ever MW playthrough-advice

Post by AnyOldName3 »

modding-openmw.com has a few lists depending on what kind of playthrough you want. The I Heart Vanilla one is pretty much just things that no one would object to, so it includes fixes, but doesn't really change anything else.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

If your installation includes the Tribunal expansion, you may want to add one mod,
Spoiler: Show
For detailed info
Spoiler: Show
Basically whenever you rest (like to heal up) there's a big chance you'll be attacked by tough assassins.
This could get you killed within minutes of starting a playthrough.

Apart from installing a mod , it can be worked around like this :
- save before resting, reload if attacked
- back to the only bed ingame where those assassins never show up.
(The bed is in the building where you choose your class and birthsign )
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

For vanilla experience with OpenMW, and if you don't want to start with a long list of mods, I heavily recommend the Morrowind Patch Project. Despite the name, it's just one single mod.
While OpenMW takes care of all the issues the original engine had, it intentionally stays away from game content. So OpenMW doesn't fix broken quests, etc.
The Morrowind Patch Project, on the other hand, only deals in content fixes, so they're quite a perfect marriage.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

I suggest Patch for Purists (https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45096) over Morrowind Patch Project because is maintained and do fix things without adding new problems.