Website Font

Discuss and help improve OpenMW's infrastructure: Website, Forums, issue tracker and everything having to do with keeping the lights on with OpenMW.
raevol

Website Font

Post by raevol »

Hey, I see that the website font was changed? I guess it's the team's prerogative to make changes if they want, but I don't remember seeing any discussion about this?

The new font looks pretty bad on my screen. It has a lot of visual noise, and just generally looks unprofessional. When you have large amounts of text for reading on a website, you want it to be presented in a font that is easy on the eyes.

Again, if that's the font you guys want to use, it's no big deal, but I think things like this should be discussed...
jvoisin

Re: Website Font

Post by jvoisin »

Same opinion as raevol : I don't like it either.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It's pretty but hard to read + too many problems with it. We should use open symbol or something like it.
raevol

Post by raevol »

You know, I also kind of take this as a personal issue. Again, this isn't my website, and if the team wants to change it, I'm all for that. But I spent a lot of time iterating through designs and getting them approved, and then to have someone just come along and make a massive change like this without checking with the rest of the team, that's pretty disrespectful.

Please note that I don't think any website changes need *my* approval, as I said, it's the team's website, not mine. But I feel like big changes do need to be proposed as drafts and then approved by the team before they are implemented.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

sirherrbatka wrote:It's pretty but hard to read + too many problems with it. We should use open symbol or something like it.
The website is using open symbol, woff, ttf and svg it browser choice to get the right font.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote:Hey, I see that the website font was changed? I guess it's the team's prerogative to make changes if they want, but I don't remember seeing any discussion about this?

The new font looks pretty bad on my screen. It has a lot of visual noise, and just generally looks unprofessional. When you have large amounts of text for reading on a website, you want it to be presented in a font that is easy on the eyes.

Again, if that's the font you guys want to use, it's no big deal, but I think things like this should be discussed...
Right now we are testing that font (idea about font usage was discussed on IRC). The font is nice and it looks good, but there are some incompatibilities between web browsers (and probably between graphic drivers) which makes that font hard to read, so I will change it back to default one (if anyone won't mind).

//EDIT: would suggest -> will
raevol

Post by raevol »

lgromanowski wrote:(idea about font usage was discussed on IRC)
IRC really isn't the place to discuss things like this. Zini is never on IRC, and I am only on it when I can take a break from work and glance over at the scroll.
lgromanowski wrote:The font is nice and it looks good
I know this is a matter of opinion, but please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans-serif
Sans-serif fonts have become the de facto standard for body text on-screen, especially online. This is partly because interlaced displays may show twittering on the fine details of the horizontal serifs. Additionally, the low resolution of digital displays in general can make fine details like serifs disappear or appear too large.
The font the website has been changed to is too visually distracting! It looks like something a child would use on a geocities website, not a designer on a professional website.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote:
lgromanowski wrote:(idea about font usage was discussed on IRC)
IRC really isn't the place to discuss things like this. Zini is never on IRC, and I am only on it when I can take a break from work and glance over at the scroll.
raevol wrote: The font the website has been changed to is too visually distracting! It looks like something a child would use on a geocities website, not a designer on a professional website.
You mean sites like this one: http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/ ?

Really, please don't write arguments like the one above. I think you're angry not about how the font is looking, but rather about not writing on forums that we are thinking about font change. Yes, that was a mistake, and I'm sorry about that.
raevol

Post by raevol »

lgromanowski wrote:You mean sites like this one: http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/ ?

Really, please don't write arguments like the one above. I think you're angry not about how the font is looking, but rather about not writing on forums that we are thinking about font change.
Yes, that is what I am "angry" about. But I am also discussing the font in this thread.

Regarding your link: If you notice, that website uses a completely white background, and a very simple visual aesthetic, thus giving the complicated font space to be readable. It's also a larger size, making it easier to read, and the purpose of the site is also to showcase that font. These are all design considerations that the author made, and honestly, the font still looks pretty mediocre on my screen.

Again, these are all my opinions. I want my voice heard regarding how the site looks. If everyone disagrees, that's fine, we'll go with the majority opinion.

EDIT: Clarifying some of my bad syntax. :P
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I hoped we could use it for the title and the links under it only. That was my idea originally and I had some problems with the font too which we couldn't seem to work out.

The idea was to match the site header appearance with the launcher logo, which uses the EB Garamond now for 0.14.0, this in turn to match the GUI font of OpenMW in this version, but I guess this can be reverted.

Here's a screenshot of the new launcher.

@raevol: You're absolutely right, won't happen again, sorry!