Star-Demon's 0.12.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
ElderTroll

Star-Demon's 0.12.0

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey team,

Does anyone have a surefire way to contact Star-Demon about making a 0.12.0 video? If he's not available to record it, then does anyone with a fast computer want to make a promotional video?
WeirdSexy

Re: Star-Demon's 0.12.0

Post by WeirdSexy »

I am in the middle of midterms and don't have alot of time at the moment. But I do have a fast computer and FRAPS.
What would you want in a promo video?
Where would you want it uploaded?
How late would be too late for me to get it done?
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

In the mean time I did some short animation videos which might be of use to you ElderTroll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6DZFfLY3U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chO7Jq_ZzT0
raevol

Post by raevol »

Awesome!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I seem to be having some issues with OpenMW 0.12.0, NPCs do not appear in-game, many console commands do not seem to be working (I can use 'coc' to get around, but nothing else seems to work). I assume it's because of my rather modded Morrowind installation. I'm doing a fresh install of MW at the moment, hopefully that will resolve the issues. This way, I can be sure a video shows OpenMW running an unadulterated Morrowind.

Anyway, I don't have any sort of working knowledge of the internals of OpenMW. What should I cover in a video? Should I talk about the "not visible to the user" things, like "Refactored Engine Class" and "Automatic Package Building"? Or just the visible changes since 0.11.1, like the new animation support and journal window?
Would you want my voice in it at all? I don't claim to have the sparkling personality that Star-Demon does.

Also, the last item of the change log: "Allow the player to move away from pre-defined cells". What exactly does this mean? Could players only visit certain cells in previous versions? Or could they just not move from cell to cell without the console?

If I can get some professional feedback on what to include in a video, I'll do my best to make one quickly.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

The promo video should go over/show the current visible new features to openmw (journal and animation). Maybe show an npc or two, and a creature being animated.
The author of the video should explain and talk about the current features, details, and goals of openmw
I think it should be voiced, we already have some unvoiced videos.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Ok, thank you. Hopefully I will be able to work on it tonight. What would you say the current goals are? The long term ones are obvious, what about immediate? Terrain rendering is planned to be featured in v 0.13.0, pending on the release of Ogre 1.8, correct? What else? Water, item/clothing equipping, and functional NPC dialogue?
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

As far as goals, IMO you should briefly focus just on the long term project goal. Maybe you should wait for Zini to say what he thinks should be in the video.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I was recording some footage 1920x1080 30fps, no problem. Then I try to animate a scrib near Balmora and it's fine for a moment then my computer crashes. Now, my computer crashes as soon as OpenMW loads up. Obviously I must figure out this issue before I can make a video.

EDIT: Now it won't launch at all, I have an exam in the morning so don't think I'll be able to figure this out tonight. Odd.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Now, my computer crashes as soon as OpenMW loads up.
That sounds like a driver or hardware problem. OpenMW can not crash a whole system.

As for what to show in the video: I think it doesn't make much sense to talk about changes that aren't visible for the user. You can mentioned them very shortly as a side note. But explaining technical aspects of OpenMW in more detail would probably only bore the viewer.

The "moving away from predefined cells" feature means you can now swim far away into the ocean without risking a crash or corrupted data structures. Probably also not worth mentioning.

What you could mention though is the new ability of OpenMW to pick up MW installations without the user having to fiddle around with the data path.

I think mentioning what to expect in 0.13.0 at the end of the video makes sense (that would be new sky, water, NPC dialogues; plus tons of bug fixes).