Launchpad

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Launchpad

Post by psi29a »

Does anyone have experience with Launchpad in creating and maintaining PPAs? If not, I can get my hands dirty as I've always wanted to try this out.

Also, does OpenMW have an account in Launchpad?
If not, I propose creating such an account to handle these things:
* libogre w/ shader support (Ubuntu/Debian does not do this)
* libbullet (for older Ubuntu/Debians without it in main repo)
* host our deb releases for various Ubuntu versions starting with 10.04

What do you guys think?
Zini

Re: Launchpad

Post by Zini »

That is a good idea. I have no experience with PPAs on launchpad though.
I think launchpad accounts are per person and not per project. So you could just create an account for yourself and host the PPA there.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:That is a good idea. I have no experience with PPAs on launchpad though.
I think launchpad accounts are per person and not per project. So you could just create an account for yourself and host the PPA there.
I have my own account but they also have Projects, which is good as it depersonalizes things. I find it awkward that we had to use "andrew's" PPA, I think users would trust one that is officially that of "OpenMW" when they go out of their way to install OpenMW on a system without necessary libraries.
Last edited by psi29a on 28 Feb 2012, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay then. Go ahead!
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I've created a team and a project page.

The team 'builds' the packages and the project is a nice overview of all available packages. It is possible that we do not need the project page, but we'll see what happens from there. :)

The team is now just invite only, but if you wish to get in on this just post (or PM) your launchpad ID and I'll send one your way. Zini, your presence on launchpad is a requirement. :D
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

I have no experience with ppas, but i already had a look at doing this myself. I think if we use Launchpad we should use it's auto packaging mechanism.

The problems i had when trying to create a source package were:
  • 1. CMake/CPack deb support is very limited. You basically can't create multiple debs with proper names and dependencies.
    2. As you mentioned there is no libbullet. We have to build it ourselves.
    3. There are ogre packages in the newer versions and for 10.04+ there is the ogre ppa, but using that would make things complicated and because of the missing shader support we can't use them anyway.
I have 2 solutions for problem 1. I already created a cmake version that is able to create proper debs using components, but this means we need to compile this via the buildbot of Launchpad aswell when creating the packages or we don't use cpack for creating the debs but build them the traditional way with dh_make. The problem with the second approach is that we would have to look into how to use dh_make.

My solution for both 2 and 3 is that we let the buildbot build static versions of both libraries and compile them into the binaries. I propose this because otherwise we'll get conflicts with the packages from the ppa or the ogre packages on newer ubuntu versions.

PS: I would like to join the launchpad group. My launchpad id is k1ll.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Normally I don't get involved in tasks outside the actual coding. But since I have an (inactive) launchpad account anyway, here is my ID: marc-zpages
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

K1ll wrote:My solution for both 2 and 3 is that we let the buildbot build static versions of both libraries and compile them into the binaries. I propose this because otherwise we'll get conflicts with the packages from the ppa or the ogre packages on newer ubuntu versions.
I think this is the best approach to the problem. I had originally thought of using Ubuntu specific versions of libbullet and ogre, but if you think statically building is a better idea, then we should go with it. This resolves having to 'hunt' for libraries and more importantly everyone (developers and end-users) are all using the same libraries. This helps when debugging problems.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Awesome! I am glad we are getting up and running on Launchpad!

A question, do we want to keep the package on Launchpad at the release version? Or have it built to latest for testing? Or have 2 PPAs, one at release and one at latest?

My launchpad ID is: raevol
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

I've got a little fix for the libbullet source package. Instead of creating the needed directories and copying the build libs and includes from tmp in override_dh_install you just create 2 files for each package one with the suffix .dirs and one with the suffix .install.

This looks like this for the libbullet source package:

libbullet0.dirs:
usr/lib
usr/lib/pkgconfig

libbullet0.install:
usr/lib/*.a
usr/lib/pkgconfig/*

libbullet-dev.dirs:
usr/include

libbullet-dev.install:
usr/include/*

I've also made both a libogre-static and an openmw source package. They are nearly done but i need a short description (max 60 characters) and a long description for these binary packages which are build by the openmw source package:

openmw (contains the openmw binary)
openmw-data (contains the desktop file and the resources)
openmw-launcher (contains the launcher binary)
esmtool (contains the esmtool binary)