What it does:
Client edits (ncgdMW_alt_start.omwaddon)
Upon its initialization, NCGD normally asks the player whether they are starting a new game or using an existing save. This edit removes this dialog box entirely and in essence forces NCGD to use the "New Game" option.
Server script edits (player/base.lua)
Player records stored by the server now contain an "initialAttributes" property. This property is set upon a character's creation and is read when a character logs in. Effectively, characters are always loaded with the attributes they had at creation time. Players are then able to initialize NCGD (by drinking the potion) which will adjust their attributes and level based on their saved skills.
In order for your server to properly store the new player data, you will need to edit your server's config.lua. Open the file (located in your server's "mp-stuff/scripts" directory) with your preferred text editor (such as notepad++), scroll to the bottom and change the value of config.playerKeyOrder to include a reference to "initialAttributes". With no other edits, it should look like this:
- Spoiler: Show
If you wish to use these edits on a server with existing characters, you will need to do some manual data entry to include the new character data for each saved character. Possibly the easiest method is to:
- Open the *.json file for the corresponding character (located in your server's "mp-stuff/data/player" directory) in a text editor
- Join your server and create a new character using the same race, major attributes, and birthsign as the existing character
- Log out and open this new character's *.json file
- Copy the value of the new character's "initialAttributes"
- Paste the copied "initialAttributes" values into the existing character's JSON record and save the file
- Spoiler: Show
What it should do:
Obviously there's still some room to improvement here:
- NCGD should initialize automatically (without the need for a potion) when a character finishes creation/loading
- NCGD's remaining options (rates of growth and decay) should be server config variables and passed on to players
- NCGD should be able to determine a player's base attributes from the player's class (major attributes), race, and birthsign
I apologize if a similar edit already exists or if this is the wrong board to distribute this; I was not able to find a similar edit and given the popularity of NCGD I figured I would share mine with the TES3MP userbase. These changes are not thoroughly tested, feel free to let me know here if you experience any problems.
All credit for NCGD's inner-workings goes to Greywander.