Equipment

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
werdanith

Re: Equipment

Post by werdanith »

I'm pretty certain you can wear robes on top of pants skirts shirts upper and lower body armor, so it's a slot. Also there I think it 's cleaner to have different incompatible slots because, boots increase your armor and shoes do not. As far as arms are concerned there is Pauldron, Gauntlet, Glove, Weapon. I'm not sure whether gloves and gauntlets are compatible but I think they are.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I don't think that You can wear skirt and robe at the same time but needs checking.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I'm pretty certain you can wear robes on top of pants skirts shirts upper and lower body armor
Okay.
Also there I think it 's cleaner to have different incompatible slots because, boots increase your armor and shoes do not.
Enchanted shoes? Anyway, artificially increasing the number of slots won't do us any good. As for cleanness, this is mostly already taken care of.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

sir_herrbatka wrote:I don't think that You can wear skirt and robe at the same time but needs checking.
Just tried it, you can.
I'm making a new list now.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Code: Select all

enum Slot
            {
                // Armor
                Slot_Helmet,
                Slot_Cuirass,
                Slot_Greaves,
                Slot_LeftPauldron, Slot_RightPauldron,
                Slot_LeftGauntlet, Slot_RightGauntlet, //Incompatible with gloves
                Slot_Boots,  //Incompatible with shoes
                Slot_Shield
                // Clothes
                Slot_Shirt,
                Slot_Pants,
                Slot_Skirt,
                Slot_Robe,
                Slot_Shoes,   //Incompatible with boots
                Slot_LeftGlove, Slot_RightGlove, //Incompatible with gauntlets/bracers
                Slot_LeftRing, Slot_RightRing,
                Slot_Amulet,
                Slot_Belt,
                // Weapons
                Slot_Weapon,
                Slot_Arrows,
            };

Notes: I changed the names of slots to the name of the thing that mostly occupies them; throwing weapons go into weapon; I thought that two handed weapons (bows, axes) kicked out shields but they don't. When you have a bow armed the shield doesn't show, but when you disarm it appears. Still, I very much suspect that Morrowind has a distinction internally, between some kinds of incompatible slots. I think we need the input of an experienced modder here.

Edit1: made the naming a little more consistent.
Edit2: forgot shields
Edit3: Gauntlets and gloves are incompatible.
Last edited by werdanith on 10 Mar 2012, 17:41, edited 3 times in total.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Also, original Morrowind does not have exactly a LeftRing, RightRing approach, more like Ring1 and Ring2, because when you equip a ring something like this happens newring->ring1->ring2->unequipped. It's a queue essentially.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, as I wrote before, we definitely don't want to distingish between armour and clothing. That would make the implementation unnecessarily complex. Also, I think it is better to name the slot for the body part where the item is placed.
We'll keep the left and right ring. For now the right ring will take the role of ring1 and the left one the role of ring too. When we later (post-1.0) can offer an interface that allows replacing a ring on a particular hand or even rendering it, we won't need to change the backend.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote:Well, as I wrote before, we definitely don't want to distingish between armour and clothing. That would make the implementation unnecessarily complex. Also, I think it is better to name the slot for the body part where the item is placed.
Well, the different naming is for the fact that, a gauntlet, a glove and a weapon occupy different slots , but could conceivably occupy a hand slot so it's less confusing in the end. Anyway, if you merge boots and shoes that's 21 slots, everything else is compatible with each other as far as I can tell. Still, I think that, what kind of slots we are using will show up when we are doing armor points calculations.
Zini

Post by Zini »

At least skirts and pants need to be merged too.
Still, I think that, what kind of slots we are using will show up when we are doing armor points calculations.
I haven't looked much into combat mechanics yet, but as far as I remember MW doesn't have hit-zones. So the armour points would be the sum of the armour points of all equipped items. In this case we can simply iterate over all equipment slots and query each equipped item through the MWWorld::Class hierarchy about its armour point contribution. The slot type would be completely irrelevant in this case, because the respective MWWorld::Class instance would now which armour point factor to apply.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Zini wrote:At least skirts and pants need to be merged too.
This is not how vanilla Morrowind works, and don't forget that modders use these slots for other things so it could screw up a few things if we changed it.
Still, I think that, what kind of slots we are using will show up when we are doing armor points calculations.
Zini wrote:I haven't looked much into combat mechanics yet, but as far as I remember MW doesn't have hit-zones. So the armour points would be the sum of the armour points of all equipped items.
I'm not sure exactly how it works, but this is not it. I could make an attempt at how I think the game calculates the armor but it's pretty complicated, since stats and skills play a role, and I suspect the game finds the average of the stuff you are wearing by some method, so whether you are wearing boots with 0 armor or shoes makes a difference. Also, the unarmored calculations are pretty weird, and I think bugged in the original game.

Also gauntlets/bracers and gloves actually are incompatible, don't know how I got the idea that they aren't.
That makes it 19 slots at least.