OpenNuka

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
CaveDoctor

Re: OpenNuka

Post by CaveDoctor »

psi29a wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:44 Dude... seriously, chill out. You're well intentioned and davidcernat is pointing out that you need to be realistic about your scope. No one doubts your excitement about the project. We wish you luck and support you, just don't get carried away. :)
I took it the wrong way when I saw the Dunning Krueger effect.
I'm pretty realistic on this.
I'm not expecting immediate results on any front, if any.
I get that I'm just starting out with code, all I'm saying is I'm not stupid.
There is a lot I'm not seeing, I get that basically I'm wandering into a Deathclaw nest at less than level 1, with no stimpacks.
I get that completely.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Cheers man!
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

The final thing I'm going to say is this.
My scope is Phase 1a for now.
Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
There are several things I'd like to see, but I doubt I'm going to have much progress completed before 1.0 or even long after 1.0.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

The thing is, I do want to see something superior to a wine wrapper for all of those games.
IgnisUmbra

Post by IgnisUmbra »

Hey Cave,

I'm not a huge fan of Fallout but Oblivion, I am extremely interested in seeing.

Please let me know if you will need:
Hosting
Bounty raising (I would throw a sizable amount down myself.)
Organization

I'm a network admin, not a Dev so I have only some ability to help in these areas.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3017&start=240#p58630

Cc9cii uploaded his work on Tes4 BSA reader, he will upload his work on the Tes4/5 esm reader next. :)
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

cc9cii wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 23:26 BSA is no problem, but I don't have Fallout4 so BA2 will have to wait. Hopefully there will be a sale on when the new Fallout game is released.

NIF support is mostly there, at least parsing them. Underlying engine support for various animation/texture/etc tricks are what is taking time.

Scripting has not been touched at all, as noted elsewhere.
I could gift it to you on steam if you'd like.
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

psi29a wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:57
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 11:07. I doubt OpenMw would have went anywhere if it didnt go public already functional .
What does this even mean? OpenMW didn't just pop into existence already functional...
it meant to say alot of time and effort went into the project prior to its public release and if it hadnt then it most likely wouldnt be here today. it was actually meant to be the last sentence of my previous statement, not sure how it got here all by itself.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 22:29it meant to say alot of time and effort went into the project prior to its public release and if it hadnt then it most likely wouldnt be here today. it was actually meant to be the last sentence of my previous statement, not sure how it got here all by itself.
It has always been public... even when it was just an esm-reader and nothing else. Like I said, it didn't just pop into existence 'functional'. For a long time it was hardly functional and just a few libraries for reading files and parsing them. Maybe we're talking past each other here, but to be clear, the project wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for people willing to take the time to work on something they are passionate about, even if there wasn't anything functional. That being said, the project has always been public since the very first commit.
CaveDoctor

Post by CaveDoctor »

Right now I'm starting C++ tutorials in preparation for this, someone suggested to me that I should wait a year and study the shit out of C++ before I start this.
I'd still love to be active in the community for the time being, I don't see what my use here would be atm, but if I'm welcome here, I'll be glad.
Sorry if my being defensive raised any flags, but I wanted to defend my decision to start this.
We'll see how it goes.