What are your favourite mods?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezzetabi

Re: What are your favourite mods?

Post by ezzetabi »

sir_herrbatka wrote:Yes, I see your point. The mod has a sense (and a skill list makes sense a lot), but to me it's just a hack around broken system. No offense, GCD (I like this one a lot) is a hack as well, and there is just no oder way to fix anything in MW.
GCD was the main inspiration for Yalsm, but, by design, it kept high the importance of initial decisions. A skill with a low initial value is more difficult to increase and (not sure I recall correctly) does increase less the abilities. Even if you can change the behavior editing few scripts, I decided to make my own.

About the ``hack around'' I can only say: welcome to the world of closed source! A world where silly and meaningless limitations force people to find absurd solutions by try and error. The fun thing? Lots of people still see it as normal!
sir_herrbatka wrote: I didn't know that doing something like this would be even possible with MW.

OTOH with openmw you would be able to fix morrowind mechanics for everybody joy :ugeek:
I also posted a topic called ``when to fork'' about the idea.
trikorder wrote:I wonder if you know this mod list compiled by btb. This guy wrote a lot but if you are interested on Morrowind economy design flaws and solutions among many other things, you might consider reading it. On top of that I found myself laughing out loud many times by reading this. This supposed to be a consistent set of compatible mods, however I did not try myself all of them out, but I used quite a few out of these mods.
I know that BTB page, I personally like some modifications and dislike some others. To me removing the possibility of forging items is not an improvement at all! On the other hand I like his new ingredients.

Beside I find the name ``BTB's Game Improvements'' annoying. Maybe it is just me, but I would never say that something of mine is an improvement. I just try to explain the reasons I do not like something and why and how I changed it. The matter if the game with my mod is better or worse is not anything I can say for everyone.

An other annoying point is the restrictive license, but I guess the fault is actually of Planet Elder Scrolls accepting non-free (as speech) stuff.
ElderTroll wrote:@ezze
Your mod is a good idea. It could make the game feel more epic and rewarding by having the player frequently die as they pit themselves against powerful opponents.
Once again, good or bad is not something I can say for everyone. The mod just tries to fix a point of the game I do not like much.
If a player thinks: -lets try to fight more powerful opponents to increase my skills quicker- or -let's create a new powerful destruction spell and cast in the wilderness to improve my skills- to me my mod was a success.

Vanilla Morrowind instead suggests: -make an extremely weak spell and cast it continuously- and -do not seek hard enemies! fights rats! 100% hit rate is the best you can do-
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Forking openmw to something like this is not a good idea. It would be better to improve scripting so other modders can benefit from it as well.

Regarding GCD ─ it's just as you say and I don't like it either. Maybe I should look at your mod someday then.
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

@ezze but not just ezze

I am not particularly promoting BtB's Game Improvement but rather the way he does things e.g. the list he had put together. As it seems to me a consistent and complete set of rules which covers all aspects of the game. Is it improvement or not is up to the users to decide, but he has his arguments, he is critical, but he give credit as well. He has a strange but funny style of writing at least I find it like that.

But I agree with you can't tell in everybody's name what is good or bad that is why games allowing mods are appealing a lot for me as one can have a choice. And this is where an open source game engine OpenMW come to the game :) giving you more freedom realising what you imagine. But putting together a consistent set of rules is still needs because we also would like to play the game and have fun with it.

A little bit off but if I am here I will continue:
Personally I had some fun with Morrowind without any mods, but now I feel that when I started to read about flaws and spoilers my mind was poisoned and I started to search ways to have a fixed game. And there is a lots of fix out there but you can get lost, and before you realise the fun is over as you are reading
more and more about flaws and fixes. Not much playing, maybe just to try if you can install this or that mod. Maybe just me but I realised this to late in fact just after oblivion. And once I find a nice getting started guide about oblivion which started like "stop reading go and play". I advice you now the same, but once you are "poisoned" is not so easy to do this, so a consistent mod list might help you.
So please @ezze and other modders out there continue your hard work creating such rules and mods because there are peoples out there in the need.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

There a possibly faulty assumption in your reasoning. It assumes that playing is more fun than every other of the activity you described.
Once again it is not the same for everyone; to me writing mods, reading guides, talking about the game with other is fun as playing itself. It depends on the mood and the moment.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Everyone has a right to their own style of playing. :)
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

@ezze @raevol

Do I sound too authoritative ? If yes it was not my intention.

I tried to share my experience, that way you know me better and from your reply I come to know you better.

I am not a modder but I spent more time learning about modding and reading about mods than I played. Then there was a moment when I realised the things, which I shared in my previous post. Currently I am still not playing rather reading this forum more and more.

Now come to my mind that maybe I will start a topic on why we are do this? Why we play ? Why we write a game ? Why Mod ? It is for fun only?
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

You sounded fine, no problem. Back to the topic, mods?
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

What house mods you use ?
One of my favourites was A Good Place To Stay in Balmora

@ezze I downloaded your mods but not yet tried as in mac is a little
annoyance to install.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I forgot about piratelords creatures mod. Very cool addition to morrowind fauna.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

@trikorder
I use the housepod pack. A good place to stay is nice, but I find it a little too much overdone.

You downloaded my mods? Cool, if you try them tell me what you think.

@sir_herrbatka
I use piratelord sounds! (link). I never tried its fauna mod.

About an other mod I like, it is Children of Morrowind. It is better than skyrim, at least we got khajit children ;).