help me fix this, mod doesn't work on openmw.....

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
rstevenson1976

help me fix this, mod doesn't work on openmw.....

Post by rstevenson1976 »

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45715

just amusing glitches, fish swimming in the air above the aquarium and levitating mannequins on the 2nd floor

this is not necessarily with the mod outhor's blessing
Starsheep

Re: help me fix this, mod author is hostile towards openmw.....

Post by Starsheep »

"hostile" like he just stated his mod was not compatible with OpenMW and doesn't intend to make an alternate version?
or "hostile" like even if someone sends him a patch file he won't update his mod page?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Or "hostile" because he doesn't want to make a version to specifically work around OpenMW bugs?

Don't forget, OpenMW is supposed to work as-is with (most) vanilla mods. So long as it's not doing anything "bad", it shouldn't be the mod author's responsibility to make a version to work around an OpenMW bug. Indeed, I'd say making a version specifically to workaround an OpenMW bug would be a poor move, since it'd effectively hide the real problem. The engine bug should be fixed, making that work for the alternate version be in vain and end up causing confusion (many people would think they should still use the "OpenMW version", even after OpenMW fixed support for the original, where the OMW version may have become neglected and out of date).
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

Again, notorious bug #3803 and bug #3950.
Mannequins just collide with wall behind them (dn_house_interior02jam).
If a side of actor's collision box is in the other object's collision box a bit, tracer tries to move the actor up and down repeatedly.
Vanilla just ignores such collisions, especially when actor is not moving (mannequins, for example).

Fan (for dn_h_fan) spams "Error: animateCollisionShapes can't find node 17" errors.

Fish have AIWander package with Distance = 2 and move up and down due to animation. Probably physics tracer pushes fish up if it collides with aquarium top.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

akortunov wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 19:09 Again, notorious bug #3803 and bug #3950.
Mannequins just collide with wall behind them (dn_house_interior02jam).
If a side of actor's collision box is in the other object's collision box a bit, tracer tries to move the actor up and down repeatedly.
Vanilla just ignores such collisions, especially when actor is not moving (mannequins, for example).

Fan (for dn_h_fan) spams "Error: animateCollisionShapes can't find node 17" errors.

Fish have AIWander package with Distance = 2 and move up and down due to animation. Probably physics tracer pushes fish up if it collides with aquarium top.
Those bugs HAVE to be solved ASAP. The only one more aggravating IMHO is #3109.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

They will when people have free time to spare, the ability and also the desire to fix them.

We do accept patches/PRs/MRs from out of the blue too. :) OpenMW isn't a closed group, anyone can join and contribute.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Jemolk wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 01:25 Those bugs HAVE to be solved ASAP.
We would appreciate your help in doing that ;)

All of us are volunteers, and not all of us have the experience or know-how to fix bugs like that. If this is important to you, the best way to make sure it happens on your schedule is to learn how to contribute to the codebase and fix it yourself.

That's not to say that others might not be interested in fixing it. Just that we all have our own priorities and they won't always align with your's.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Thunderforge wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 00:17
Jemolk wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 01:25 Those bugs HAVE to be solved ASAP.
We would appreciate your help in doing that ;)

All of us are volunteers, and not all of us have the experience or know-how to fix bugs like that. If this is important to you, the best way to make sure it happens on your schedule is to learn how to contribute to the codebase and fix it yourself.

That's not to say that others might not be interested in fixing it. Just that we all have our own priorities and they won't always align with your's.
Oh, I know. In fact, I may just do some testing on one of em right now. I can't really code myself, though, so I'm pretty much restricted to giving feedback/troubleshooting/debugging at the moment.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

@rstevenson1976: is the mod author really hostile towards openmw?
NullCascade

Post by NullCascade »

I've talked to him before a few times. I don't think he's hostile, he just recognizes there are major bugs in OpenMW still and that his mod doesn't work perfectly in OpenMW.

In general the attitude towards OpenMW has grown increasingly negative. I don't think that's all OpenMW's fault, though I know that several modders have been increasingly negative lately. My shining example of flawless diplomacy doesn't come from a bubble, I've lived in the Morrowind Modding Community discord the past 6-7 months. Many modders get a bit tired being asked by end users to add OpenMW compatibility when they don't feel that they should have to do anything special for OpenMW. Darknut shouldn't have to do anything special for his mod to function the same in OpenMW as it does in the vanilla engine, but that doesn't stop OpenMW users from bugging him to "fix" his mod to work with it.