Sky

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
scrawl

Re: Sky

Post by scrawl »

raevol wrote:
Regarding the dependency, is it small enough that we can build it into our project? Or am I completely misunderstanding?
It's an Ogre plugin (like GL RenderSystem), so we are not building it.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Zini wrote:
1. a backend that calculates color modulation for atmosphere and clouds, as well as the fog colour
#1: I am pretty sure that there is nothing in the world model that can be used to determine these. I guess these depend on the weather and as such I am not sure if we should call it a backend task.
I confirm that at least the fog color is set in the morrowind.ini... I am sure because I wrote a mod for that.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Right. I did not consider the Morrowind.ini file (only the ESX files). Well, as I said before, best use a fixed hardcoded value for now.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

this is roughly the class design i have in mind, do you agree?

==> : owns
--> : knows

World ==> WeatherManager
WeatherManager --> RenderingManager

RenderingManager ==> SkyManager
RenderingManager ==> WeatherEffectsManager [ for rain, ashstorms, etc ]
Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks reasonable to me.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Zini wrote:Right. I did not consider the Morrowind.ini file (only the ESX files). Well, as I said before, best use a fixed hardcoded value for now.
If you have to decide a fixed value I suggest to use the fog colors I linked. The values make the fog of about the same color of sky giving an Aerial perspective aspect to the game.

Of course if you meant a single fog color for all weather condition... nevermind go gray.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I am getting a link error when trying to build your branch:
CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/mwworld/world.cpp.o: In function `MWWorld::World::World(OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer&, Files::Collections const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, boost::filesystem::path_traits> const&, bool, MWWorld::Environment&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
world.cpp:(.text+0x925): undefined reference to `MWWorld::WeatherManager::WeatherManager(MWRender::RenderingManager*)'
CMakeFiles/openmw.dir/mwworld/world.cpp.o: In function `MWWorld::World::World(OEngine::Render::OgreRenderer&, Files::Collections const&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, boost::filesystem::basic_path<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, boost::filesystem::path_traits> const&, bool, MWWorld::Environment&, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)':
world.cpp:(.text+0x1121): undefined reference to `MWWorld::WeatherManager::WeatherManager(MWRender::RenderingManager*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Forgot to add a file?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

yes sorry, fixed
Zini

Post by Zini »

Lovely.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I forgot thunderstorms on the ToDo list. I need to find out which textures are used for them.

these might be related (but they look like flash effects, and not the actual lightning):
./textures/tx_stormalpha02.dds
./textures/tx_stormalpha01.dds
./textures/tx_stormalpha00.dds

and then these ( i'm sure that not all of them are relevant, there also must be some that are used for the magic lightning effect)
./textures/vfx_lightningrod04.dds
./textures/vfx_lightning_shield.dds
./textures/vfx_lightningrod.dds
./textures/vfx_lightningspark.dds
./textures/vfx_lightningbolt.dds
./textures/vfx_lightningrod05.dds
./textures/vfx_lightningrod02.dds
./textures/vfx_lightningrod03.dds

If someone has a picture of thunderstorms in morrowind flying around, that'd be helpful, because you must be lucky to get a thunderstorm weather (and even more lucky to press screenshot at the correct time to catch a lightning)