Terrain

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Yacoby

Re: Terrain

Post by Yacoby »

Cheers. That seems awesome.

I am now off to see if I can get some shading sorted.
scrawl wrote:I'm not sure about this line, I took it from your previous commit because I had to get a Ogre::TexturePtr and not Ogre::Image is it correct?

const size_t imageOffset = (size - 1 - y)*size*4 + x*4;
It should be 3, it was only 4 because I (at one point) had an alpha channel.

Just a quick question regarding the fact that you have your(?) next branch merged with terrain, I would assume that makes it hard to merge release your sky code without the terrain code. (Or I am missing something?).
Last edited by Yacoby on 02 Mar 2012, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Yacoby wrote: Just a quick question regarding the fact that you have your(?) next branch merged with terrain, I would assume that makes it hard to merge release your sky code without the terrain code. (Or I am missing something?).
nope, I have a seperate branch (called terrain_next) for terrain. (and my sky code is in a different branch 'weather' anyway)
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

scrawl wrote:
Yacoby wrote: Just a quick question regarding the fact that you have your(?) next branch merged with terrain, I would assume that makes it hard to merge release your sky code without the terrain code. (Or I am missing something?).
nope, I have a seperate branch (called terrain_next) for terrain. (and my sky code is in a different branch 'weather' anyway)
Ok, awesome. Would it be sane for me to branch from your terrain_next to make merging easier? (Or I merge your terrain_next into my terrain branch? I am not sure the best way to go about it)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I've integrated all your changes in my branch already, so yeah you could just branch off from it.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Scrawl: I am currently messing around loading terrain asynchronously. I have some very bad code that seems that it leads to better performance and far less noticeable loading times... at least it would if it would use another core. At present it just seems to use the same core and slow the game down to a nice 3fps for a few seconds while preforming the load step (CPU usage doesn't really go above 50%).

I may give it a try with 1.8 later on today, as that had a few fixes to terrain stuff in it.
Last edited by Yacoby on 03 Mar 2012, 10:42, edited 2 times in total.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Two things:

1) I have only the tiniest understanding of what you guys are talking about. Let me be more clear by "understanding" I mean it's like waking up in a UFO and overhearing two aliens speak to each other about some an amazing glowing device in the room. You know they are having a discussion about said device because occasionally one or the other points at it. It's like that level of comprehension but it's better because, although I'm no programmer, I'm fairly certain terrain rendering isn't some far-out anal probe.

2) Despite number 1, it is exciting hearing that you two are making so much progress. Keep up the good work.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

ElderTroll wrote:2) Despite number 1, it is exciting hearing that you two are making so much progress. Keep up the good work.
Terrain is pretty much done apart from distant land (which will come at some point in the future) and faster loading.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Is the plan still to wait until Ogre 1.8 before it is enabled in version 0.13.0 or 0.14.0?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yes.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

@Yacoby: There's an option to enable multithreading support in ogre (OgreMain/include/OgreConfig.h, to be precise OGRE_THREAD_SUPPORT and OGRE_THREAD_PROVIDER). Until now I thought it would be enable by default, but looking at the 1.8RC i downloaded it has both set to 0.

Edit: Oops, I was wrong. OgreConfig.h includes OgreBuildSettings.h which is generated by CMake and in my case overwrote the Thread settings and enabled them.