Skyrim

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
jhooks1

Skyrim

Post by jhooks1 »

Is anyone getting it? I was pretty disappointed with Oblivion, so I won't be getting it when it comes out.
Zini

Re: Skyrim

Post by Zini »

Same. Not on my buy-list for now. Maybe a year after release or so, when they are offering it for a lower price.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

My pc is too weak for skyrim. But my opinion about skyrim:

+ Music sounds good
+ Radiant quest looks like my personal idea for TES games (I even wrote about that on old forum)
+ Game looks atmospheric
+ They attempted to do something with magic (that looks just like one of propositions on the old forum, maybe developers are lurking here? ;-)) But it won't be that good.

- Plot looks like... uh. Dragons? And probabbly no interesting characters and interactions again? And epic again? *sigh* They need to hire good writer, it won't be that expensive.
- They need to rethink the idea of magic and combat. At least they know that it's not working fine.
- GUI is cool looking but again, console oriented. Feels like Final Fantasy.
- It's not morrowind ;-)

Well, this CAN be the best TES game ever but I guess that morrowind magic won't stop to shine. Morrowind has very well designed world and It does matter how hard It will be beaten in technical aspects.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

From the bit I've seen or heard it doesn't look interesting, just looks like swords-magic and monsters.
I didn't play oblivion but I had huge expectations of number 5.
I want to see atmosphere, endless environment interactions and expansive AI characters all taken to extreme levels. I want the world to really 100% dynamic down to smallest details with no set states. Amazing plot/quests interactivity that will create itself as you go (within rules and major sets of accomplishing the story)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Oblivion was a huge disappointment, so definitely not putting down any money for Skyrim. Also really doubt my computer will run it.

It's true that Morrowind really has a magic to it. Sure the engine was klunky, but the world and characters and everything still lures me back to this day. Oblivion was downright boring in comparison, and some of the mechanics were just awful. Leveled difficulty anyone?
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Looks like IGN gave skyward sword a higher score, can't wait for that game.
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Well, I have neither the hardware nor the time for Skyrim right now. But from the videos I've seen they seem to have gone along with many of Oblivion's bad design choices, in order to make it more mainstream like "staging" the game and adjusting the challenge according to your level. For example Oblivion had a very strong opinion of who you can and can't kill, where you can and can't go etc , and Skyrim seems to be more of the same. In Morrowind the first cave I ever entered had a flame atronach, immune to my weapons that killed me, and that's how it should be, but it drives ,instant gratification, mainstream players away.

Other than that, the game seems to have many interesting elements, like combat and dynamic quests, and an excellent soundtrack which I'd rank amongst Jeremy Soule's best work. Still, if I had to choose between Skyrim and say, OpenMW 1.5, it would be a tough choice. :)
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

http://starsdevblog.wordpress.com/2011/ ... pressions/

Also - This game is really good, but I'm starting to think that, as I play it- I spoil myself for replaying it since I know how the quest system works. it IS giving me ideas, though. I've been stuck on it for three days.
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

Rhys wrote:I want to see atmosphere, endless environment interactions and expansive AI characters all taken to extreme levels. I want the world to really 100% dynamic down to smallest details with no set states. Amazing plot/quests interactivity that will create itself as you go (within rules and major sets of accomplishing the story)
Not for nothing, but you're asking for too much. Designing, implementing, and creating content for that system would take huge amounts of time, and while I would love the game to have characters with more substance or have better AI (oh god...would I ever love good AI), what I have is a solid improvement on Oblivion in most respects.

I love Morrowind, but every time I play it I find myself bored not of the setting, but of the game. Sadly, ours is the only project which, after finished, could have an overhaul to freshen the game up to modern standards. Even then, no one has the resources to make such an overhaul.

If you want to know what can be learned from Elder Scrolls 4 and 5, it's graphics, Eliminating pen and paper throwback systems that don't translate to 3D first person videogames, and amazing visuals. But it needs to be combined with things Bioware has improved over the years, most notably character writing and dialogue.

So far - I don't think Bethsoft has learned much from Bioware in terms of getting invested in characters.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Star-Demon wrote:Not for nothing, but you're asking for too much. Designing, implementing, and creating content for that system would take huge amounts of time, and while I would love the game to have characters with more substance or have better AI (oh god...would I ever love good AI), what I have is a solid improvement on Oblivion in most respects.
Yeah, I just think (any) games tech(other than graphics/physics which is always slowly increasing) should to go to the next level.
This would of course take a long time with current tools.

I imagine that one day it would be like the step from hand modelling a realistic tree vs a sophisticated tree generator. The latter being much quicker, realistic, detailed and repeatable but, of course, someone had to come up with the tech.
Or comparing things like premade reactive animations to the new systems like euphoria.

I guess why I thought that specifically with skyrim is because of how I saw Oblivion as bringing a handful of tech breakthroughs (although oblivion did come at the start of this gen? xbox360?, but skyrim is coming closer to the end of the gen). I imagined these consoles are basically at their limit graphics and physics wise but there should be room for majorly deepening the world and everything in it.