Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
AnyOldName3

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Post by AnyOldName3 » 12 Aug 2018, 19:24

We're only going to end up displaying what you'd get if you mistakenly loaded a bump-mapped mod in the vanilla engine without MCP, so it's not like we're bending to the whims of other projects.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

lysol

Post by lysol » 12 Aug 2018, 21:05

Oh, right. I always thought vanilla MW displayed them like OpenMW does.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page

Starsheep

Post by Starsheep » 12 Aug 2018, 21:27

yeah if you figure out a workaround to make the fake bump mapping of meshes designed for mcp look "ok-ish" out of the box instead of the current shiny-metal effect even though it's not proper normal maps, that would be great.

When I built my load out, I went through a whole manual correction of nifs and that took a lot of time. The average user is not going to do that.

Sure it shouldn't be in the scope of the engine, but more straight compatibility with existing mods -> less complaining -> more acceptance of OpenMW by the community.

AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 » 12 Aug 2018, 22:00

We have the ability to replicate MCP's bump mapping system exactly, but it would just involve removing the vanilla-style environment mapping altogether. I don't know if any vanilla content or mods actually relies on the non-MCP behaviour, but pre-1.0, we shouldn't be removing features which the vanilla engine had.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

lysol

Post by lysol » 13 Aug 2018, 04:45

AnyOldName3 wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 22:00
We have the ability to replicate MCP's bump mapping system exactly, but it would just involve removing the vanilla-style environment mapping altogether. I don't know if any vanilla content or mods actually relies on the non-MCP behaviour, but pre-1.0, we shouldn't be removing features which the vanilla engine had.
Don't think any vanilla content uses the environment mapping, but there are mods that does.
Normal mapped texture replacers, exclusive for OpenMW:
My Nexus page