OpenMW Error

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Utseeva

OpenMW Error

Post by Utseeva »

When I open openmw.exe I get this error:
"OpenMW: Fatal Error
boost::filesystem::path codecvt to wstring: error"
silentthief

Re: OpenMW Error

Post by silentthief »

ok, you will want to give a little more information than that.

What OS is this on? (Linux? Mac? windows? -- would assume windows because its openmw.exe -- but what version, 98? win7 win8, win10?)

is there any output when running from console? This may provide more information if you open a console and launch from that.

ST -- not a dev, but trying to help
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Also tell us: what is your OS language, Morrowind language and if there are any non-ascii characters in openmw or datafiles paths. (that error looks like some problem with string encoding to me)
Utseeva

Post by Utseeva »

I'm using Windows 7 right now and the language of the OS is hungarian and Morrowind's is english.
I have no idea of to run it, using the console. I tried, but I didn't have any idea to what to do.
I don't know what is non-ascii or just ascii.
Sorry, if I look dumb, but I don't know what to do.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Utseeva wrote:I'm using Windows 7 right now and the language of the OS is hungarian and Morrowind's is english.
I have no idea of to run it, using the console. I tried, but I didn't have any idea to what to do.
I don't know what is non-ascii or just ascii.
Sorry, if I look dumb, but I don't know what to do.
That is an interesting setup. Do you have any issues with any other english language programs? I am not sure, but I guess that its possible that there are "illegal" characters in the path, with non-matching language setups.

As for the console in windows 7, if I remember correctly Microsoft hid it. I don't remember how to find it, but you may be able to google how to get command line in win 7. Once you know how, then you simply put the exe file as a command -- openmw.exe

(*and then it may give more information when encountering an error)

ST
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Utseeva wrote:I don't know what is non-ascii or just ascii.
I wanted to say: Any characters that are not used by English language. Example would be "ěščřžýáíéůú" etc... (stuff that's not in this table)

Tell us full paths to this:
Full path to your Documents folder: C:\Users\???\Documents\
Full path to openmw.exe: ???
Full path to Datafiles folders: ??? (where is Morrowind.esm)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The two fastest ways to open the command prompt in windows 7 are to type cmd into start (in which case it'll start in your user area) or to shift+right click on empty space in a folder (in which case it'll ruin in that folder). Doing so in the folder where the openmw executable is (By default C:\Program Files\OpenMW <version number>\) and type openmw as silenttheif suggested. As well as attempting to start the program, it should print a load of diagnostic information to the console, which you can copy and paste here.
Utseeva

Post by Utseeva »

Well, I think that ascii problem is the problem for me.

My Morrowind folder is in my "Játékok" folder. (Which means "Games" in my language)
Also, I knew how to open the command tools. :-) Thanks for writing it anyway.

I typed "cd D:\Program Files\Programs\OpenMW 0.40.0" and it said nothing. (I guess that means it was succesful)
Then I typed openmw.exe as you said, but I got the error, that there is no commands, such that..

I want to say sorry again, if I look dumb, because I can't do such easy things.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As there's a space in the path there, you'd have to enter

Code: Select all

cd "D:\Program Files\Programs\OpenMW 0.40.0"
to make it work. Also, for weird reasons, you have to be in a folder on the same drive for cd to work, so you'd need to enter "D:" beforehand, making the full sequence

Code: Select all

D:
cd "D:\Program Files\Programs\OpenMW 0.40.0"
openmw
Utseeva

Post by Utseeva »

Thanks, it worked.
But I still got the same fatal error.