OpenMW-CS Tutorial(s) For The Neophyte

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
MrAnonGuy

OpenMW-CS Tutorial(s) For The Neophyte

Post by MrAnonGuy »

Greetings,

Let me start by saying I really appreciate all the effort and hard work the developers/contributors have put into the the OpenMW project. I'm sure you all don't get enough kudos so thank you very much.

I'd really like to be able to edit and tweak some of the existing mods (.esp files) that are available. I'm an experienced coder and an advanced GIMP user, but I have zero experience in 3D modelling, Blender or any previous version of OpenMW-CS. I've compiled OpenMW V0.39 in Fedora 24, so that's the version of OpenMW-CS I have.

I searched this forum (and everywhere else) for any OpenMW-CS tutorials or guides and came up with nothing. I did find references to a couple of tutorials here on this forum, one being "Ring Tutorial" by HiPhish, but in both instances the links were dead.

Are there any tutorials or reference manuals available for OpenMW-CS and if so, where can I find them?

Something that would be really good, for a neophyte like me, would be a simple, step by step, tutorial on how to create a one room house in OpenMW, placing a few items in and around the house. I think that would be an excellent starting point for those of us who want to learn, and need a guide to get started.

Any help or suggestions on how to proceed would be most appreciated.

TIA!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW-CS Tutorial(s) For The Neophyte

Post by psi29a »

Have you tried reading the docs?

https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/master/

Ring Tutorial included.

:D

Note: @lgro any way we can get this link somewhere in the header? Something like 'Documentation' or 'Docs'?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

OpenMW-CS is somewhat similar to Morrowind CS. You could look up some tutorials for that to get an idea.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Maybe it's worth poiting out that there are some pretty big new features in version 0.40 that are not featured in 0.39 (the version OP downloaded). So since the CS still has some big features that need to be implemented, it might be a reason why there aren't more tutorials..?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not really. While OpenMW-CS is still a work in progress, most existing features are fairly stable and definitely do not quality as a moving target. The reason why we don't have enough end user documentation for OpenMW-CS is that there aren't enough volunteers to write it (boring task, I guess).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Made a tutorial. It´s extremely lazy, but should give you an idea of how to place stuffs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_x5tT ... e=youtu.be
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Zini wrote:Not really. While OpenMW-CS is still a work in progress, most existing features are fairly stable and definitely do not quality as a moving target. The reason why we don't have enough end user documentation for OpenMW-CS is that there aren't enough volunteers to write it (boring task, I guess).
I have some stuff floating around on my hard disk like rough tutorials that give tours through OpenMW-CS so that people get to know the program as they go, but I've kinda stopped doing that since features kept getting added and modified so I figured I'd hold off until 1.0.

If it's not going to change all that much anymore I'll continue working on it, but it'd be very non-technical by design so probably not fit for official documentation.
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

psi29a wrote:Have you tried reading the docs?
Ring Tutorial included.
Well, I had came across references to the "Source" documentation and just assumed it meant source code documentation. I did not realize the beginnings of the CS manual/guide would also be there. Thank you for the link. The Ring Tutorial was very helpful.
DestinedToDie wrote:Made a tutorial. It´s extremely lazy, but should give you an idea of how to place stuffs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_x5tT ... e=youtu.be
Thank you so much for that. It was extremely helpful. I'm staring to get a feel for how the CS works. Although, I am having some difficulty with the UI, specifically working in real time in any of the view modes.

I was able to bring up a the Balcony House mod, and select a table in a room. I can perform the editing functions directly from the Instance record, but when I select the object by clicking with the middle mouse button, I can't do anything with it. The red, blue and green lines appear but I can't grab or drag them. Anything I do just seems to reposition the camera.

What am I missing here?
Balcony House Table
Balcony House Table
I was ale to delete the table from the instance view and add a chest, but I stll have the same issue with not being able to drag, rotate or scale the newly added chest using my mouse.
Balcony House Newly Added Chest
Balcony House Newly Added Chest
Clearly, I'm missing something about editing with the mouse in the UI. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S. Is there a list of keystroke functions that are used in OpenMW?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Uh, it was such an obvious thing to me that I completely missed mentioning it, although it should be shown briefly in the video.

http://i.imgur.com/CcLXwqS.png

Use your right mouse button to drag objects. Left mouse is for panning in 1st person mode. Also feel free to read the icon descriptions.

Also if you go edit->preferences->key bindings you will find the keyboard shortcuts you wanted.
MrAnonGuy

Post by MrAnonGuy »

Thanks so much D2D. That's what I was missing.
mmkeys.jpg
I have an odd ball portable multimedia keyboard that uses a joystick mouse. You press both buttons for middle click and there is another button that locks the left mouse button for easy scrolling. It's great for gaming and sofa surfing.

I never would have thought to hold the right button down, as it's not an easy thing to do on this device. Perhaps it's not the best for OpenMW-CS, but I can reassign the mouse buttons from under prefs to meet my needs.

I really appreciate your help. I'm already tweaking existing mods and now have a nice big underground storage cellar for the Balmora Balcony house. :mrgreen: