Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by lysol »

So, instead of messing around in the general discussions forum, I thought I should do a new thread instead.

Completed packs:
Packs being worked on:
  • I'm kind of working on Redoran, but I haven't had the time to do much for quite a while now
"Might do" list:
  • Telvanni
  • Dwemer
(We'll see how many of these I will have the time to do)

What this actually is:

Vanilla friendly colored high resolution normal, parallax and specular mapped texture packs. Basically. :roll:

I did some textures for Vivec just to try out OpenMW's normal mapping, parallax mapping and specular mapping feature (new in version 0.39.0, thank the amazing scrawl for it). I ended up making a complete texture pack for Vivec (which of course by nature updates all Velothi-themed buildings) and started doing a Hlaalu replacer. It was a lot of fun doing this, so I don't know how many packs I will end up doing. It will take time though, I almost only work on these during free weekends when my wife is working.
Last edited by lysol on 16 Oct 2016, 23:06, edited 17 times in total.
darkbasic

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by darkbasic »

I would love to have Balmora and Seyda Neen textures too, since they are the "cities" most players start with and somehow fell in love with.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Well, Balmora is a Hlaalu city, so you have Balmora textures in the Hlaalu pack that you can download a work in progress of here. :)

You have a point about Seyda Neen though, maybe I should do Imperial next.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Sorry, didn't understand you were doing packs for the whole houses: I thought you were targeting single cities like for Vivec and seeking advice on which to do next. Yes I think Imperial should be next, because of Seyda Neen and Caldera.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Well, the thing is that if I do a texture pack for Balmora, I will also do a texture pack for Suran, whether I like it or not. They use the same textures.

I know I named my first texture pack "Vivec", but that was mostly because Vivec is really the city we associate with the Velothi architecture, and also, I did all the banners hanging around in the city too, and those are exclusively in Vivec and not in Molag Mar, for example. But if you install the Vivec pack, you'll also update the look of Molag Mal, the Tribunal temple in Balmora and also all of the Velothi Towers.

So if I do an Imperial pack later, both Seyda Neen and, for example, Pelagiad will be updated. There might be a few textures exclusive to either town though, but I'll look into that later.
GreyFox

Post by GreyFox »

I would like to see Dunmer Strongholds textures replaced personally, their stone walls cry for being normal mapped. But from a project perspective the focus should be on things new players will see first when playing openmw. That means the prison ship from the character creation, the imperial textures and whatever textures are in the census office, Bitter Coast exterior textures(I would love to see mw giant mushrooms in normal mapped glory ;)), Ascadian Isles exteriors and Hlaalu. I can see that your mod might very well get distributed by default with 1.0, you do follow a strict enhancement philosophy instead of replacement, so it would make sense to be included.
openmwfan27

Post by openmwfan27 »

Just tried out both texture packs and they look great! It's awesome to see OpenMW tailored mods, Do you plan on normal mapping most areas of the game?

It would be awesome to see a high-res normal mapped terrain and rocks replacers, they may seem dull but the ground and rocks are in most places you visit in Morrowind including the start of the game so switching them out will IMO make a massive improvement.

Keep up the good work, can't wait for the Hlaalu Normal Mapped for OpenMW 1.0 :D
lysol

Post by lysol »

GreyFox wrote:I would like to see Dunmer Strongholds textures replaced personally, their stone walls cry for being normal mapped. But from a project perspective the focus should be on things new players will see first when playing openmw. That means the prison ship from the character creation, the imperial textures and whatever textures are in the census office, Bitter Coast exterior textures(I would love to see mw giant mushrooms in normal mapped glory ;)), Ascadian Isles exteriors and Hlaalu. I can see that your mod might very well get distributed by default with 1.0, you do follow a strict enhancement philosophy instead of replacement, so it would make sense to be included.
See you in five years then! :) Nah, just kidding, but I don't want to have too optimistic visions yet. There might come a time when all this is done, but I don't want to give anyone expectations, myself included. Doing this takes a very long time, and I don't have all that time (even though I would very much like to!). So right now, I only have one more texture pack planned after Hlaalu is done. We will see what happens after that.
openmwfan27 wrote:Just tried out both texture packs and they look great! It's awesome to see OpenMW tailored mods, Do you plan on normal mapping most areas of the game?

It would be awesome to see a high-res normal mapped terrain and rocks replacers, they may seem dull but the ground and rocks are in most places you visit in Morrowind including the start of the game so switching them out will IMO make a massive improvement.

Keep up the good work, can't wait for the Hlaalu Normal Mapped for OpenMW 1.0 :D
Thank you very much! As I said above, I don't want to have big plans like that, it's too much of a risk that I will fail. And for me, having big plans might be distracting since you never see the end of the project. Small goals is better for me.

Rocks might be interesting to do. They are really really low res atm.
Vyrukas

Post by Vyrukas »

Back in '05 I made a few weapon mods for morrowind. Has blender changed drastically in that time? I'm afraid I don't remember how to use it, but I'd like to tinker around if it isn't too intimidating.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Blender is way better now. See this guide on how to export stuff into OpenMW:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3330