Latest OpenMW Daily Build froze my computer

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
argonvegell

Latest OpenMW Daily Build froze my computer

Post by argonvegell »

Xubuntu 14.04
OpenMW 0.38 Daily Build

Just received an update to OpenMW from the Daily Build PPA, and after clicking on openmw-launcher and clicking on my latest game save, and when my game loaded, OpenMW was slow, very slow, then it crashes, then my computer became slow too, then my system froze, the mouse works, but cannot click on anything, had to reboot by pressing the power button.

Here's the crash.log:

Code: Select all

*** Fatal Error ***
Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
Address: (nil)

System: Linux xxxxxxxx 3.13.0-77-generic #121-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 20 10:50:59 UTC 2016 i686

Executing: gdb --quiet --batch --command=/tmp/gdb-respfile-ye2TSd
Last edited by argonvegell on 12 Feb 2016, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
argonvegell

Re: Latest OpenMW Daily Build froze my computer

Post by argonvegell »

Tried to run OpenMW again, it runs really slow and had to kill it using Task Manager to avoid crashing my system again.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Odd. The only thing I can think of that could cause this (besides a hardware problem) would be a catastrophic memory management problem. I don't think we have one of these. But can you check the memory consumption anyway?
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

How do I check memory consumption?

I have observed that when me and my companion Julan are in a place without other NPCs, like Caius' basement mod, which I am using as a house, the game runs fine, but when I'm with other NPCs, the game freezes.
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

It seems as if Morrowind Comes Alive was the problem, after removing MCA, no more freezing, although, the previous version of the Daily Build didn't have a problem with MCA.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

If you are using OSG 3.2, please try upgrading to 3.4 and then see if the problem persists.
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

how do I do that?
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

The behavior you describe, where you can move the mouse pointer but everything else is unresponsive, sounds a lot like your desktop environment (xfce in your case) having crashed. If that happens, you still have a few outs short of just cutting the power.

First thing to try is to switch to a text-only tty, using the keyboard combination Ctrl+Alt+F{1-6}. Your graphical session usually resides in tty7, and you can get back to it with Ctrl+Alt+F7. From the text only tty you can run diagnostic tools like top or htop to check your memory usage and processor load. This will often reveal which program caused your desktop environment to crash. You can then kill the offending program and try to restart your desktop environment, or just restart your computer using the reboot command if nothing else works.

If your system has become completely locked up and not it's not even possible to switch to a different tty, you still don't need to hard-reset it just yet. First try the Magic SysRq key combination REISUB. By holding down the Alt and SysRq keys at the same time, you can send commands directly to the Linux kernel even if everything else is FUBAR. Some keyboards have no explicit SysRq key. On those keyboards the Print Screen key is actually also the SysRq key. So, if nothing else works, hold Alt+SysRq and press, in order and several seconds apart, the keys R, E, I, S, U, B. That tells the Linux kernel to:

unRaw (take control of keyboard back from X),
tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate gracefully),
kIll (send SIGKILL to all processes, forcing them to terminate immediately),
Sync (flush data to disk),
Unmount (remount all filesystems read-only),
reBoot.

If even that doesn't work, it's time to pull the plug.
Last edited by K0kt409P on 12 Feb 2016, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
argonvegell

Post by argonvegell »

K0kt409P wrote:The behavior you describe, where you can move the mouse pointer but everything else is unresponsive, sounds a lot like your desktop environment (xfce in your case) having crashed. If that happens, you still have a few outs short of just cutting the power.

First thing to try is to switch to a text-only tty, using the keyboard combination Ctrl+Alt+F{1-6}. Your graphical session usually resides in tty7, and you can get back to it with Ctrl+Alt+F7. From the text only tty you can run diagnostic tools like top or htop to check your memory usage and processor load. This will often reveal which program caused your desktop environment to crash. You can then kill the offending program and try to restart your desktop environment, or just restart your computer using the reboot command if nothing else works.

If your system has become completely locked up and not it's not even possible to switch to a different tty, you still don't need to hard-reset it just yet. First try the Magic SysRq key combination REISUB. By holding down the Alt and SysRq keys at the same time, you can send commands directly to the Linux kernel even if everything else is FUBAR. Some keyboards doesn't have an explicit SysRq key. On those keyboards the Print Screen key is actually also the SysRq key. So, if nothing else works, hold Alt+SysRq and press, in order and several seconds appart, the keys R, E, I, S, U, B. That tells the Linux kernel to:

unRaw (take control of keyboard back from X),
tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate gracefully),
kIll (send SIGKILL to all processes, forcing them to terminate immediately),
Sync (flush data to disk),
Unmount (remount all filesystems read-only),
reBoot.

If even that doesn't work, it's time to pull the plug.
Thanks for the info :)
scrawl wrote:If you are using OSG 3.2, please try upgrading to 3.4 and then see if the problem persists.
I'm not even sure if OpenSceneGraph is even installed, how do I check if it is?

EDIT: I checked Ubuntu Software Center, OSG isn't installed on my system.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Well OpenMW uses OSG, so it must be installed one way or another.

You would have to ask the maintainer of whatever package you are using to update the OSG build, or you build OpenMW and OSG from source yourself.